If You're Not Streaming, You Should Be

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should be able to set your youtube to record anything then watch it later from your "library".
I'll check that out. Thanks! Having issues with YouTube on the phone vs the one online with the laptop. They don't sync that I've found. Maybe I haven't found out how?
I sync with netflix and others, just can't with YouTube so I can set up recording. Haven't dug too deep into it yet. Just start it on my phone and cast it to the smart tv.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll check that out. Thanks! Having issues with YouTube on the phone vs the one online with the laptop. They don't sync that I've found. Maybe I haven't found out how?
I sync with netflix and others, just can't with YouTube so I can set up recording. Haven't dug too deep into it yet. Just start it on my phone and cast it to the smart tv.

If your youtube isn't syncing between devices, might double check they're all on the same account and profile.i can start something at work when I'm supposed to be working, pull it up where I left off on the phone for the drive home, and do the same the moment I walk in the door.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your youtube isn't syncing between devices, might double check they're all on the same account and profile.i can start something at work when I'm supposed to be working, pull it up where I left off on the phone for the drive home, and do the same the moment I walk in the door.
Worked! Just checked and they are sync'd now. A channel about fly fishing on Tanneycomo is playing now.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been chewing over making the switch for awhile but there are a few things we had to consider. I could cut the cord tomorrow and save money but it wouldn't be as convenient or a comparable service. Whole house DVR would be gone so we'd have to get equipment or find a cloud service and probably pay for extra storage. Then we'd have to patch together a group of streaming services to equal the channel selection we currently watch, and maybe still have to switch back and forth between an HD antenna for local channels plus buy the equipment for 4 tv sets for that.

Then we would have to up our monthly data plan and Cox has a stranglehold on internet provider competition in my area so there is literally no comparable option. 5 people in the house (plus 1 or 2 seemingly live-in friends of my daughter lol) equals a lot of bandwidth usage without streaming. The two youngest do a lot of their homework online these days, the oldest kid is in college, video meetings (the new normal) etc and we already come close to the 1TB limit occasionally. If everyone started streaming we would certainly bust the cap.

When I added it all up we might save $50 a month or so, but at some point we are all willing to pay for convenience.

It will probably make more sense for us when the kids start filtering out and it's just me and the Mrs but right now I can't see it.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got ATT 1000Mb fiber a couple of months ago so we cancelled DirectTV and now we stream.
We have Netflix, Prime, and HULU Live TV. The HULU Live TV is kind of like having a cable or satellite package, I think we're saving about $75-100 a month and we have all the channels we liked on DirectTV.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cable TV and phone service are among the most over priced services in the USA.
Cell phone service is a close 2nd.

For local broadcast whole house DVR the best options are:
Previously mentioned HDhomerun
ReCast from Amazon
Tablo 2 or 4 tuner dvr.

I would buy none of them at this point.
ATSC version 3.0 is beginning to roll out across the country to replace ATSC version 1.0 in use since the adoption of digital TV. as replacement of the old analog tv.

That's right boys and girls, we are going to need new TVs or external tuners to receive ATSC 3 broadcasts.
And what will ATSC 3 give us that is new?
4K picture quality
Improved error correction and reception in marginal areas.
Interactive features.
Hyperlocal broadcasts down to the block level

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cable TV and phone service are among the most over priced services in the USA.
Cell phone service is a close 2nd.

For local broadcast whole house DVR the best options are:
Previously mentioned HDhomerun
ReCast from Amazon
Tablo 2 or 4 tuner dvr.

I would buy none of them at this point.
ATSC version 3.0 is beginning to roll out across the country to replace ATSC version 1.0 in use since the adoption of digital TV. as replacement of the old analog tv.

That's right boys and girls, we are going to need new TVs or external tuners to receive ATSC 3 broadcasts.
And what will ATSC 3 give us that is new?
4K picture quality
Improved error correction and reception in marginal areas.
Interactive features.
Hyperlocal broadcasts down to the block level

Just remember, per FCC rules, all local broadcasters will have to simulcast in ATSC 1 and 3 for 7 years. This is to insure backwards compatibility. So you can rush out and buy ATSC 3 gear right away, but you don't need to.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember, per FCC rules, all local broadcasters will have to simulcast in ATSC 1 and 3 for 7 years. This is to insure backwards compatibility. So you can rush out and buy ATSC 3 gear right away, but you don't need to.

What I'm reading is that the broadcasters may share the version 1 and version 3 broadcasts across multiple stations.
For example, KWTV might broadcast the version 3 programming while the version 1 broadcast is carried on their subsidiary KSBI station.
4K football seems like a fantastic idea to me so I will be an early convert.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is BS, for 50 years everyone was happy with NTSC 640 X 480 TV. Now if you don't have 4K you ain't in. BS I will have to replace almost everything we are using to watch TV including my two DVR's. The quality is 10 times better than it was on analog why mess with something that works. Just makes me mad.. And ya I kept a flip phone till I had to make a switch and still have computers on XP....

Latest posts

Top Bottom