Illuminated hunting scope $400 or less

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Primary arms is my vote. I have a few of them under $200 and even one on my Barrett m99, still holding zero after hundreds of rounds
I've looked at primary arms quite a bit actually but most of the ones I've seen have exposed turrets I'm really not wanting exposed turrets if I can avoid it

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a new rifle coming & will be shopping for a scope though I'd get some opinions on scopes people have actually used or are using first hand, please no suggestions you haven't actually tried but "think" are good. Rifle is Ruger American Predator 6.5 grendel, will be 95% coyote rifle & deer hunting the other 5%

Here's what I won't compromise on

(1) illuminated reticle
(2) somewhere between 3-12 & 4-16
(3) needs to be bright enough for last light hunting , brighter the better
(4) $400 or less.

I've looked at everything I can think of lately and am more confused than when I started
I’ve got a vortex. Older diamondback. I’m pleased with. Non illuminated reticle. The illuminated reticle also give me the wash out. I also do not favor mil-dot. I would think you could find a leupold in your price range, however I have not priced scopes lately. And I usually get a discount.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I had a Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40, before the buckmaster II days & the cheap Walmart Nikons & it was ideal. I could see through it when my eyes couldn't see anything on their own. It wasn't illuminated but I much prefer an illuminated dot or light illuminated reticle these days. I'd also like to avoid Chinese made optics and would like to at least have it come out of the Philippines , south Korea or Japan since I can't afford a U. S. Or European made scope. It's a tall order which is why I'm seeking input

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every rifle scope I currently have on a hunting rifle is illuminated. I can honestly say I have never had need for it in a hunting situation. Even before I had illuminated scopes I was never in a situation where I said, I could shoot if I could see my cross hairs. And I’m speaking from 48 years of deer, elk, and antelope hunting. Illumination with regards to a rifle scope is low on my priority, but it just so happened to come with the scopes that possessed what I held in high priority (brightness/clarity/sharpness/tracking/chromatic aberration/etc).

A scope with quality glass will solve the majority of your low light shooting situation‘s. Sadly, you’ll be hard-pressed to find that in a $400 scope.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I'd also like to avoid Chinese made optics and would like to at least have it come out of the Philippines , south Korea or Japan since I can't afford a U. S. Or European made scope. It's a tall order which is why I'm seeking input
At the price point you're looking at they're all going to be chicom, maybe Philippine...but those are as good as chicoms IMO.
LOW (Japanese OEM scope maker) still makes some lower priced scopes, but not many, but anything made in Japan is made by LOW regardless of the brand.
Take a look at Meopta. They are the LOW of Europe and make entry level to high end scopes for their own brand and everyone else.

However, Leupold still makes scopes in the US (all their scopes are US made) around that price point depending on what you want, tube size, etc. I've used scopes with illuminated reticles for years and have realized an illuminated reticle is essentially useless. It also kills the low light amplification of your glass when it glows in the tube.
Ebay has a lot of good scopes available at decent prices. I've seen some Leupolds here and some good LOW built scopes like Sightron as well. If you can add a couple bills to your budget, it opens up a lot more options for a new scope.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a new rifle coming & will be shopping for a scope though I'd get some opinions on scopes people have actually used or are using first hand, please no suggestions you haven't actually tried but "think" are good. Rifle is Ruger American Predator 6.5 grendel, will be 95% coyote rifle & deer hunting the other 5%

Here's what I won't compromise on

(1) illuminated reticle
(2) somewhere between 3-12 & 4-16
(3) needs to be bright enough for last light hunting , brighter the better
(4) $400 or less.

I've looked at everything I can think of lately and am more confused than when I started
Sorry but I don't think you can get Schmidt and Bender for that price.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have looked through a couple and I ended up not seeing a critter at the dark thirty hour because the lit up t cross hairs washed out the picture.

So a good test would be to look about 150 yards at a line of trees with a critter standing at the edge of the trees and see if you can still see the critter or even still see tree trunks.

I am done with illuminated scopes and just like a thicker reticle.
Like a Nikon Buckmaster.
Maybe higher end scopes are more fit for this task.

I do not like to shoot at last light at deer.
What if it takes off after the shot. You spend all night looking for it.
Coyote. Yea take the shot
UV flashlight.... works well .

Latest posts

Top Bottom