I'm Boycotting AT&T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never had an issue with Tmobile until I went to WA and everything was Sprint and Verizon. Went back to NC and couldn't get the awesome service I had before so went with ATT. Now I think they're probably all the same.

Besides, they all ride each others networks anyway...if Verizon built a tower out in some sh*thole in NM, your ATT will hop on it, and vice versa, because they all have agreements to do so.
Yes, but at different service levels…

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked into how the small/cheap companies like Patriot Mobile can say they use the same networks as the big guys for less money; if things get busy who do you think is going to get throttled back first? If it's a Verizon network their clients will get priority.
That's what I read anyway.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
So the little providers, kinda like what El Pablo said are mobile virtual network operators, not networks but the provider. They rent network space and usually partner up with a large network as a host. Some will partner with several networks and some rent from only one, but they all get to ride whatever agreements they have in place via their main host. All the bigs get your money no matter what, but you can shop around for best price and benefits. Seriously though, the trac phones can be a pretty good deal.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Google Fi and have for years, what questions do you have? One question for you is what kind of phone do you have?

Edit: Just looked and without any device payments or insurance I have on my phones it's $95 for four lines with unlimited data. This is the plan without the ability to use extra sim cards in things like tablets, that would be more.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We left AT&T back in the earlier 2000's for Verizon. At the time, AT&T had real issues with voice message, dropping calls, and a network. We lived out between Mustang and Tuttle on a ridge, and I still had to go outside to make or take calls. Went to Verizon and everything improved.

In our travels to Colorado, Oregon, and Utah, the only issues we ever had with them was if we happened to get a mountain ridge or something between us and the nearest tower.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
T Mobile used to be horrible about 10 years ago so I switched to ATT. Has T Mobile improved?
Check their coverage area for your location. For cell phone service they are pretty good. Pricing for plans is pretty good. Customer service is a damn sight better than any other that I've dealt with ever.

All that said, I'm kicking their home internet service to the curb after running it for a year. It was pretty good for a good long while and with autopay and it being a second line I got it for $40 bucks a month with no data caps, equipment fees, or .gov fees, it's all included in the $40. That's pretty good.

However I think they've outsold their bandwidth capacity. My service was very reliable as far as connection and wifi, all that was rock solid. But during peak times the speed became atrociously slow. I knew it was a tower load issue when I was being passed around towers like a really cheap hooker at a political convention. Some towers are faster than others, operate on different bands which vary in bandwidth, etc. All of them around me got pretty slow. I have 5 towers that will work acceptably at my location on all sides of me one of which is less than a mile. I got myself educated on how to tell what tower you are on and how to find them. Their software is setup to spread the load around as needed to give you a decent speed and it does work. You never even know when it sends you to another tower. I have a bunch of apartment complexes around me so I suspect that they took advantage of T-Mobile's killer pricing and the infrastructure is just saturated. Tech support alluded to "high loads" several times.

They definitely have the tech in place, their 5G is straight up the winner out of all of them, but they have grown too fast, IMO. I'm keeping my phone service with them, at least for now.

I just had fibre ran to my house. It's actually fibre too, not UVERSE fibre to the switch and then 7000' of coax to your modem. lol. I was kinda shocked that AT&T put fibre on the telephone poles. I guess that shows how dated my tech experience is, it used to have to be in the ground. They tell me I can get 5gig up and down speeds, but I just went with the cheap 300 plan.

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 9.03.06 PM.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom