I'm contemplating taking up deer hunting again....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was sitting on the ground, back against a tree, a bit of brush in front of me, WEARING BLAZE ORANGE COVERALLS AND CAP. I catch a glint. I focused my binocs and some azzhat is 600 yards across a clear cut, looking at me through his scope!
I dropped my binocs and raise my rifle. Put crossbars on azzhat. He doesn't move. I flip him the bird. He doesn't move. Making slow, deliberate gestures, I move safety to fire and put finger on trigger. Azzhat jumps up and runs.

2 hours later, getting dark, I return to my truck. GW is there. Azzhat is there, screaming, "that's him."

GW walks to me and asks about any incident where I may have threatened anyone?

I told him exactly and added, "that azzhat scopes me, again, I will shoot."

He said I was free to go. Returned to azzhat and him a dressing down that his grandkids will be shaking in their boots, years later.

Valkhar

Marksman
Reaction score
I was sitting on the ground, back against a tree, a bit of brush in front of me, WEARING BLAZE ORANGE COVERALLS AND CAP. I catch a glint. I focused my binocs and some azzhat is 600 yards across a clear cut, looking at me through his scope!
I dropped my binocs and raise my rifle. Put crossbars on azzhat. He doesn't move. I flip him the bird. He doesn't move. Making slow, deliberate gestures, I move safety to fire and put finger on trigger. Azzhat jumps up and runs.

2 hours later, getting dark, I return to my truck. GW is there. Azzhat is there, screaming, "that's him."

GW walks to me and asks about any incident where I may have threatened anyone?

I told him exactly and added, "that azzhat scopes me, again, I will shoot."

He said I was free to go. Returned to azzhat and him a dressing down that his grandkids will be shaking in their boots, years later.
Jeez man that’s insane. I don’t know what some people are thinking

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely watch some YouTube videos. Especially when it comes to cutting up the carcass. I love processing meat! The butchering is my favorite part of harvesting an animal. I’ve never understood the take it to a processor mentality.

Deer are pretty easy. You’ll need a good helper, much easier with 2 people.

You’ll need a rope/gambrel to hang it. I’ve had good luck with a $10 Amazon gambrel.

A place to chill/age the meat for a few days is a plus if possible (large cooler works, like 120qt)

Take your time and really be tedious about trimming the meat. Remove silver skin/fat/bloodshot spots etc. (Lots of people think venison is “too gamy” because they’ve only ate poorly processed meat.)

Knife hone: re-Sharpen your knives as you go

Box of blue nitrate disposable gloves

Method of packing: Freezer paper/plastic wrap, or a vacuum sealer, or ziplocks etc

You don’t have freeze everything. Dehydrate some jerky (can use the oven if you don’t have a dehydrator) Also, pressure canned venison is awesome too! You can put less desirable meat chunks in and the canner makes it all tender. I like to add some onion/salt/jalapeño to the jar, it’s so good!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Public land is good, depends on the area. As others have stated, getting away from the road/parking areas is key. If you're hunting a wooded area with good trees it's worth having a lightweight (aluminum!) climbing stand. Get there early, get way up, be patient.

Get some time on the ground ahead of the season - scouting is the best way to guarantee deer meat.

I've seen some retards on public land, but 99% of the time it's been enjoyable and not as crowded as some make it seem. (I do walk aways away, though) Find some options far from Tulsa or OKC and you're better off. Ask the game warden in the area about your plan - they can be very helpful and usually know the areas better than anyone.

FWIW - I always keep rubber gloves on me when I hunt. Not necessary for deer, but you never know when you'll run across a pig, and I don't like cleaning pigs without gloves.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a good point. Security and parking your truck away from wandering eyes is important year around. I doubt that I’ll ever need it, but I do tend to carry a sidearm when hunting public land, just in case. It’s been handy for snakes, I doubt I’ll ever have to defend myself from people, but better safe than sorry.

Also, I’ve heard from people at two different WMA ranges, don’t trust anyone, or assume you’re alone. I’ve heard a few stories about guys getting their firearms stolen off the shooting bench while they’re down range messing with targets. I’ve heard about it being individuals that were shooting on the range with them, who grab and run, and I’ve also heard about people watching and showing up when you’re down range or in the bathroom, away from your gear. I’ll set a box or two of ammo down on the shooting bench, and anytime I go down range or leave the bench, I take my firearm with me.
That's all a bit disappointing. Would like to expect a little more from the sportsmen out there..

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's all a bit disappointing. Would like to expect a little more from the sportsmen out there..
You do get out of the house, right? Go to Walmart, etc?

Our culture is collapsing all around. Manners are archaic. As is, embarrassment, shame, pride in one's appearance, respect for law and the rights of others, ad infinitum, ad nauseum....

Criminal and anti social behavior on hunting grounds is merely a symptom of a nation in decline. And someday, people will look back on these days as "the good old days."

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our culture is collapsing all around. Manners are archaic. As is, embarrassment, shame, pride in one's appearance, respect for law and the rights of others, ad infinitum, ad nauseum....

Criminal and anti social behavior on hunting grounds is merely a symptom of a nation in decline. And someday, people will look back on these days as "the good old days."
Well stated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom