I'm on the hunt for the best burger.. in my own kitchen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I trust your using a cast iron skillet for this masterpiece? Should be able to hold the heat needed to form the crust your looking for and eliminate the need to rotate the patty.

I am. Normally, I get even heating, but normally I'm not cooking on such high heat. Of course, I'm probably not waiting long enough for my skillet to heat up.

Might try using a cheese grater for the minced onions....that's what I use.

I use a mandolin slicer that has a very fine julienne attachment. When done with an onion, since it's layered, they come out in little rice size pieces. Perfect for the paste I'm making.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IF you like mushrooms, get a portabella mushroom cap, the big ones that look like a burger bun, and grill that till its a bit soft, add that to your burger....

Best thing ever if you like mushrooms.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
For sure. Just don't know if it is because you have never cooked your own patty or because you own a zester? WTF is that any way.

Just ribbing you. But seriously is that some kind of sex toy or something?

#1. I have cooked many of my own patties... just in the last few years... well... life gets in the way sometimes. I don't even own a grill right now. :(

#2. I dunno, I've never used it. Certainly doesn't look like something I'd want to use in that context, and I bought it on a whim for some reason or other... I'll be damned if I can remember what it was I was planning on making that needed zest.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
youre doint it wrooooooooooong

amazingribs.com

look up his "art of burger" or something.

basically cant use off the shelf ground beef. gotta grind a decent steak etc. have your butcher grind it while ya wait, and have him add some fat. then ya do a reverse sear... get it up to 135f or so on indirect side of grill, then stick it over hottest part to get a char and up to 165.... then enjoy!!!

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
one thing that works very well is i put my cast iron skillet inside my gas grill and cook it that way... gets hot more evenly and quicker..

also, how many people use a meat thermometer? I have trouble with burgers either under/over cooking....

Latest posts

Top Bottom