I'm so sick of "notifications" from everywhere. Warning - /rant on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If rants about stupid inanities of daily life bother you, then please read no further.

If not, then read this in a Ron White or George Carlin kind of mental voice, right?

/rant on

So half the websites I get linked to have a popup that asks if I will enable them to send me active notifications. I always decline, of course. Why in GOD'S NAME would anyone allow random and usually stupid websites to send them active notifications??? Does anyone actually DO this???

And why don't browsers (like Chrome, which is what I use) allow a global opt-out for these things? We already have options for disabling the submission of personal tracking data, etc. But somehow popups asking for specific permission to send DESKTOP NOTIFICATIONS aren't something to which we can just globally and categorically say, "Hell no!" I mean, seriously?

And I get them on my phone from lots of apps... now, most apps, I've blocked from sending me alerts and notifications. I've had to do this with Domino's and Pizza Hut ads, for example ("Do you feel like pizza tonight???" popups and notifications), as well as lots of other apps. Bixby, all AT&T apps, certainly Facebook (which I can't even delete), a Bible app, Hilton HHonors, Moutrie Mobile, most airline apps that somehow think I want to hear from them even when I'm NOT sitting in an airport waiting for a flight (???), TripAdvisor, Walgreens, WalMart, YouTube, etc.

But one in particular has been bothering me lately, and that's Weatherbug. Now, I like Weatherbug's general format for weather, I've used it for probably 10 years.

And I don't want to completely disable Weatherbug's ability to send me notifications AT ALL, as part of its primary function. You know, things like TORNADO WARNINGS in my area? Or even severe thunderstorm warnings? This is Oklahoma, sometimes those things can and do pop up in no time out of nowhere. But I can't disable the stupid "lightning alerts" in my area, or even "heat alerts".... seriously, folks, it's August in Oklahoma. I'm aware it gets hot.

But even worse... now they're sending notifications NOT for weather events but some kind of stupid stories they want me to check out. I think they're kind of trying to move in to The Weather Channel territory trying to expand to anything nature-related.

For instance, I just noticed they sent me a notification for some story about, "How do sharks find their prey?" REALLY, Weatherbug????? I mean, REALLY???? THIS is the s**t you think I want NOTIFICATIONS ABOUT from my WEATHER APP?????

I've looked through their app and I cannot find a way to disable these specific and stupid things without blocking their notifications altogether and losing the ability to get Tornado Warnings and Severe Thunderstorm Warnings - you know, things I might ACTUALLY want a WEATHER APP to notify me about???

Don't get me wrong, I'm not losing sleep over this, it's just another in a long list of minor irritations that make me roll my eyes and go on about my day - but just like annoying automatic audio ads online - they actually make me LESS likely to patronize your business or product simply based on the fact that your marketing department is too stupid to realize people don't like being constantly bothered. At least people like me.

So anyways.... /rant off.

Time to go put some babybacks on the smoker. :D Give me a "Like" to let me know if you agree.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Get my radar!! I dropped weatherbug several years ago. Spyware / malware issues. They tell you it does not but anything that intrusive tends to be and malwarebytes also treats it like malware.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right there with you and have been for a long time now. From a marketing POV it really makes one wonder doesn't it? Why would a CEO allow them to program in **** just to annoy and piss off their customers?

One that really irks me is the News9 app for our local TV channel 9 (probably News6 for you, same Griffin Communications owner up there). They are constantly doing abbreviated news stories and saying further info is on their "News9 App" during their newscasts. Then you go over to get more info and are hammered with ad banners, popup ads and/or video ads before finding out not much more is there and there's no way around them. And half of them are them advertising themself! :faint:
But they gettin them ad clicks man, they gettin them clicks. $$$$$$$$

I ditched Aaron Tuttle's weather subscription for this very reason.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of these stupid notifications are because of some stupid law Commiefornia passed. you gotta be notified about everything.

I got a package of stainless ball bearings from Cali and it said "known to cause cancer in lab animals" Who the hell is feeding animals ball bearings?

Latest posts

Top Bottom