I'm sure this has happened to other fishermen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I took my nephews fishing for their 1st time yesterday, (I'm waiting on pictures from my sis) & they had an absolute blast.
My 8 year old nephew was just as excited on his last catch as he was on his first.
The 5 year old nephew caught the first of the day.
Each one of the boys caught around 10 to 12 fish each, & each kept the 2 largest.

But here is what happened to me. Since I was busy running back & forth between everyone helping out, untangling stuff & changing lures for them, I didn't get to do much fishing myself, so my pole at one point was leaning against the side of the truck. I decided to move the truck a little closer, & I forgot about my pole. I obviously ran over part of it. The pole is not hurt, but I crushed my reel.
I've heard stories of this issue happening to bird hunters cause they set their shotgun against the side of the pickup.
I'm sure there are some other fishermen out there that things like this has happened to.

20210531_074750.jpg

It could probably be fixed if I could find the proper parts. Nothing wrong with the rotating assymbly.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had a really nice Remington 1100 20. Until I left it leaning against the truck on the passenger side. The barrel slipped between the cab and bed. Surprisingly, it didn’t bent the barrel but messed up the butt. I only went a few feet before my brain clicked!

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had it happen to me, almost done it with my shotgun but caught a glimpse of it in my mirror. I have heard about it plenty though. Now I have these magnetic holders and I stick them right near my drivers door. For not only me, but I leave my keys in the back of my truck in case someone needed to move it for some reason - they'd also see it leaning there.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hate it when stuff like that happens.
I backed up over my tacklebox once did that once with my plastic ammo box that had tools in it.

I have fixed busted reels with JB weld.
You may be able to drill a tiny hole into the 2 pieces and insert a finish nail (dowel) and JB weld or other Epoxy it back together.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was fishing once alongside a small dam on a lake, with grassy slopes on either side. I picked up my tackle box to move to another spot, and I slipped and fell on my butt on the slope. I watched the tackle box roll all the way down to the bottom, and when I retrieved it and looked inside, the contents were all mixed up. Hooks everywhere, lures tangled together, split shot rolling around in every compartment... Took a while to sort it all out.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother and I use to fish at Lake Pauline near Quanah, Texas when we were growing up. There was a power plant on the lake cooled by lake water which ran to the plant through two channels. We were fishing the outlet channel catching carp on canned corn when I slipped and went into the water. The channel had almost straight sides and was full of water snakes (even rattlesnakes). I went up the bank with out my pole and glasses. I'll never know how I made the climb out as the bank was on a nearly 90 degree angle but the thought of all those snakes lifted me up....Lost my pole, glasses and pride and took a lot of ribbing from my brother but lived to tell the tale.....

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fishing with the nephews is a ton of fun! That's awesome you put em on the fish. I've dropped a rod or two in the lake taking them out and helping them. Always managed to snag it back. Last time I fished with them,, one caught 38 bass, the other caught 29, and I couldn't even get a bite lol. Now I don't even bait my own, just focus on putting them on the fish.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy and I were pheasant hunting west of Newkirk years ago in a blinding snowstorm. Close to zero with the snow blowing sideways.
We loaded up the dogs and drove home. Getting there, he noticed his New Browning OU shotgun was not in the vehicle and remembered he had leaned it against the rear tire.
We drove back as fast as the snow drifts would let us to the location. That shotgun was laying right on the road with fresh vehicle tracks right next to it. He got it back without being damaged. Lucky guy.

2 Timothy 4:7-8

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive always been so scared of accidentally leaving my pistol in a public restroom when I have to go #2. I got to where i started putting it in my shorts as soon as they hit the floor instead of on the toilet paper dispenser or the back of the toilet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom