I'm thinking about buying a Hi-Point carbine.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No... just a bolt action Marlin. But IIRC they do make 'em. :P :D
I've tried to find one. Nordic had one in an AR platform in a beta test gun that one of our members got to test, but like most that have tried, the recoil impulse of the .22 mag doesn't work well with a semi-auto action. Pistol or rifle.
I have an AMT Auto mag in .22 mag, and its basically a single shot. They tried for years to make it reliable and never did.
Keltec has a PMR-30 I think it is that may have overcome the issues, but I haven't researched the reliability yet.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read that .22mag semi-auto pistols have problems because of the long stroke required, but I thought that was more so on pistols than rifles.

Maybe it's just my imagination.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read that .22mag semi-auto pistols have problems because of the long stroke required, but I thought that was more so on pistols than rifles.

Maybe it's just my imagination.
Not sure about the long stroke, but AMT had issues with the gun cycling so fast that the gases were lost to cycle the action.
Their remedy was to stipple the chamber allowing the brass to "grip" the chamber long enough in milliseconds for the gas pressure to build and cycle the action. My pistol shows the stippling after firing, and although I thought it was a mag issue, I bought some after market mags and they did no different. I've tuned a couple of those mags back and forth a dozen times and it gets no better or worse.
The .17HMR was experiencing the same issues in semi-auto rifles.
I saw Savage put a very large charging handle on their rifles. I suspect that is what they are using to slow the cycle down to build pressure in the chamber, but that is total speculation on my part.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used 1911 mags in my 45 hipoint pistol.
You take a round screwdriver and bend out the mag catch that simple.
The ramp on the Hipoint is very nice for allowing bullets to enter the chamber. Unlike the very abrupt ramp I see on more expensive pistols.
Get one in your hands and look at it.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a HiPoint 995 and have a CX4 in 9mm. The CX4 is far superior, but then, it should be, given the cost differential. The 995 always goes bang and always hits the side of the barn pretty much where you aim it. I got rid of mine because it was just a little awkward and really a POS when it came to maintenance. On the other hand, it doesn't need much maintenance. Good 9mm carbines are $600 and up; 995's are $300, or less. Lots of guys who own them, love them.

Coincidently, I also have a PMR-30, late model. No issues, so far, except it is a loud sucker.

Latest posts

Top Bottom