Important Question about American Veteran Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonKnife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a serious question and I would like anyone whom is a US Veteran or active duty military person to answer it especially, but, anyone is welcome to comment who knows about this. Here is the issue:

There are two people: One of them had a Vietnam Veteran in their family whom was captured by the North Vietnamese (Communists) army and was able to escape, allegedly.
The second person does not believe this happened, even though they do not deny the fact that the family member of the first person was a Vietnam Veteran. The reason given for the second person not believing this happened, is this: They looked the Veteran up on the official US government military website which lists the names of all known US Military Prisoners of War and the Veteran is not listed there by name. However, this Vietnam Veteran was a truthful person, not a liar, nor is their family member. Also, the Veteran in particular passed away some time back so is no longer around to respond.

Here is my question: Without getting into strange conspiracy theories, we do know the government does not tell everything that happens on their websites. Is it possible that a US Vietnam (as well as other wars) Combat Veteran could have been captured as a POW and escaped, and this incident not been recorded officially? Or, could there have been soldiers who were involved in special operations activities that were and are not posted on government websites? Also, is it true that personal military service records can only be accessed by biological family members and so it is possible that their POW status was not listed on the government website for it?

I welcome feedback from veterans and military persons especially on this, please.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know for a fact the government does not list everything on their web sites. Also depending on how quickly he escaped, he may have not been listed as a POW. Like if they captured him but never got him to a POW camp because he escaped before they could.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Were they checking the Library of Congress' list of POWs/MIA? It is reasonable to think that the list which was checked is based on documented and corroborated records from both sides, as opposed to field reports by individual units.
If someone was captured for some short time, then escaped before being processed by the NVA at an actual POW camp, there might be no official record of their capture.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can confirm with 100% accuracy that you have no idea what our government will share about veterans, their active duty/reserve duty or any other information about a service members activities for good reasons.

Best bet is to learn to let sleeping dogs continue to sleep and not kick up too much dirt.

Those of you willing to attempt to guide the truth seekers in this endeavor are kicking up too much dirt. Is there anything more than a person's honor at stake with the discovery of whether or not they did fall into the enemies hands?

I know quite a few story tellers in my time in the Navy and while some stories are easy to pick apart there are plenty of instances where no one really knows what just went down as it is going down in front of their face, lol.

I hope whoever has the questions about the potential POW come to peace with themselves. Those who have been verified as being a POW do receive benefits from their country and deserve every single thing that comes there way.

War Criminal #42, Boots, Boots, Boots...(if you know, you know)

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Army made my friend blackout 6 tattoos in Vietnam before he left. He did LRP missions in Laos and Cambodia borderlands. His group was part of MAC SOG. He told me he carried C4, TNT and primer cord and made boobytraps, destroyed VC supply caches and took out his pursuers with a nasty batch of IEDs
He got a Silver Star and 3 Purple Hearts, 1st Sgt, Jumpmaster, Ranger, Green Beret in101st Airborne "No Slack" unit, did several tours from 1965-1969 including Trung Luong massacre in 1966 where he was awarded the Silver Star.

YukonKnife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Were they checking the Library of Congress' list of POWs/MIA? It is reasonable to think that the list which was checked is based on documented and corroborated records from both sides, as opposed to field reports by individual units.
If someone was captured for some short time, then escaped before being processed by the NVA at an actual POW camp, there might be no official record of their capture.
Yes, exactly. The person who is skeptical checked the Library of Congress/US government list of POWs/MIAs and did not find the person's name, so did not believe the claims. However, as you said, there were situations as you mentioned, as well as stuff that was not made public, in various situations. I appreciate your help on this.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There were so many missions in Vietnam that never officially happened. It is very likely your late friend is telling the truth. As others have mentioned, there is no use in pursuing the truth. Even if there are gov't records documenting his mission and capture as a POW, it will likely never see the light of day.

We ask our military to do things we don't want to ever know about. We should never asked so they never need to remember. Let the truth stay forever in the shadows, locked-up and forgotten in the memories of the men and women that have served.

As for the person that doesn't believe the POW event occurred. Leave it alone. Minds can't be changed. Some don't want to know of the evil that occurs during war, or know of the harm our friends and loved ones went through.

As a Vietnam Veteran once told me, "I was never in Laos, we never flew 137 missions into Laos. I was never there. But we did get lost, a lot!" ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom