Important Question about American Veteran Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to talk ill of the dead, and that is certainly not my intention, but the reality that I have found is that two things have remained constant about war in the US: The .gov can't keep records worth a crap and is spotty on reporting things, and that people are (more often than not) happy to embellish what happened, whether it be to them, a friend, or a family member.

With that being said, I don't consider government record (or lack thereof) as gospel, and I take everyone's war stories with a grain of salt and a hint of skepticism, especially when they get pretty wild. I've met about 300 Navy "SEAL's" in my short 34 years of living. Probably the same number of "I'm not allowed to talk about anything I did in the military, because everything is secret". Family members and friends are just as good at blowing things out of proportion too. You can look up military personnel records by using archive.gov.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since the veteran has passed away, I would not address the Ex-POW issue. Let the family live thinking he is a hero and I would not even bring up the subject. Since he is deceased, what difference does it make?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a combat vet and never claimed to be, well outside of one night in a bar trying to impress a smoking hot blonde. Anyway I have known and served with a lot of men who were combat vets and some had the medals to prove it. One thing I will always remember is this,
The difference between fairy tales and war stories is one begins "Once upon a time" and the other "No ship this really happened."

Last edited:

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of operations were off the books and across the fence. The guberment wanted plausible deniability on these types of operations and often had nearby operations to cover up other operations to use for a smoke screen.

The guberment is not above outright lying about what happened in certain areas and changing or destroying the records as they see fit to CYA.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of operations were off the books and across the fence. The guberment wanted plausible deniability on these types of operations and often had nearby operations to cover up other operations to use for a smoke screen.

The guberment is not above outright lying about what happened in certain areas and changing or destroying the records as they see fit to CYA.
Ya mad about the post content or mad about the way our beloved guberment does things

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does he have one of these in his shadow box? It’s a POW medal

C830026F-0FE3-44F6-9C4B-906A7BDC5F01.jpeg

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have met several Vets who stated they had been captured and were able to get away prior to getting to a camp. Vets from WW2, Korea, Nam, Iraq. My Uncle was downed twice over Europe, escaped after capture prior to the first camp, sat out most of the rest of the war the second time. If you are not processed and reported as captured then you are not listed as a POW as I understand it.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are alot things that are off the books. From that war there are alot of guys that were captured,
held captive, and tortured, that was never reported. A large number of the mia soldiers were probably
unreported pow's. The best is just let the issue die away quitely and go on about life. Just remember
your family member as a hero, and don't worry about what some non believer has to say about it.
I think he saw enough horrible stuff over there whether he was a pow or not. Most men that went
away to that war, and any other war do not come the same man. It is constant battle on a daily basis
to cope and deal with what was seen and done. Some men can handle better than others for sure.
I think the government should do more for vets, it is getting better, but they have a long way to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom