In need of shotgun gunsmith

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a shotgun 'smith who can look over this circa 1900 Ithaca to see if it's safe to shoot?

7Vj2eXE.jpg

Last edited:

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d shoot it. Just buy a cheap box of field loads or find someone that reloads to make you some very tame loads.

Freshman year in college a TPD officer gave me a old Hopkins-Allen sawed off single shot shotgun that was included in a 25 gun collection. No trigger guard, pitted barrel, and in fairly rough shape.

Turn my head first time I shot it, It was dangerous as all one had to do was tap the side of the trigger and it would discharge. That said I took a rabbit with it.
Refinished the wood and cold blued the steel and made it a wall hanger ☺️

As long as it locks tight and no barrel obstruction not much more to check, not to say it may have issues with the internals and won’t fire.

Those old shotguns weren’t made out of alloy, they’re solid steel.

Weve got gunsmiths on here that may differ with my opinion but having been a shot gunner for over 50 years Ive never seen one blow up , plugged barrel with mud and such would be my only concern

JMO, but your choice. It can’t cost much to take it to a gunsmith on the other hand to test fire in a chamber.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had David (SPDguns) look over my Winchester 97 that is over 90 years old, no idea on the last time it was shot. He cycled several dead rounds through it, looked it over and recommended cleaning and oiling then have it at.

Ttown sounds about right based on what David recommended to me, just haven't gotten to the range with it yet.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had David (SPDguns) look over my Winchester 97 that is over 90 years old, no idea on the last time it was shot. He cycled several dead rounds through it, looked it over and recommended cleaning and oiling then have it at.

Ttown sounds about right based on what David recommended to me, just haven't gotten to the range with it yet.

Is that a member here? I just don’t want to lose a hand if the steel isn’t up to snuff.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on the steel, I'd get up with Dennis to get some of those paper hulled shells. No way I'd shoot the new stuff without having it looked over. The steel may not support it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom