In the market or out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you sold it all or riding it down?

• Total voters

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m retired, but I’m doing some side consulting and inspection gigs.

My retirement portfolio is in 3 categories. Equities, ETF index funds and cash & cash equivalents. I’m drawing from the last one, so I’m not selling anything right now to draw a monthly income, so as far as I’m concerned this crash isn’t really impacting me immediately. What I am doing is continuing to draw, but my side income is going into the market. It’s a fire sale, I’m buying. I wish I was still working so I was buying every 2 weeks.

I asked my guy how he wanted to do it, and he said we could still make the regular draws, and invest the new income and that was a better option.

Damn if I know, but I don’t worry about it. I’m paying him to worry about it. If I don’t make money, he don’t get paid. I’m down with whatever he wants to do. I figure what’s good for him is good for me.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today is painful but most of mine are in Energy ETFs. O&G ain't going away folks. I have a little in AAPL and some in an aerospace ETF. I ain't selling yet, most everything pays a far better dividend than a CD. Just debating on what to do for next years deposits on my HSA and Roth IRA.

What really chaps my ass is my mom's account. She's down 10K in just this quarter and she's invested in some really "about as milquetoast as you can get" money market accounts that are wrapped in some kind of annuity. It never does anything super drastic one way or the other, but the annuities are fully mature and if I had my way I'd have her cash them out and park it all in a freaking CD. But everytime she talks to her guy she listens to him and not to me. She doesn't need it, so why not guarantee at least some growth with no loss potential and have it there in a conventional IRA if she does need it? The guy about has an aneurysm when I ask about moving it all. I just tell her to go ahead and let insurance companies use your money to pad their pockets. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I still have 7-10 before I retire. I’ll admit I’m cutting it closer with time than I did the last time. I got nervous last time and thought about freezing my contributions or putting it in safe mode(403b). But I actually upped my contributions and was buying way more shares. When it came back, I was amazed at how fast it tripled.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I moved everything, but I did it in January 2021. Yeah I didn't get to claim all that free prize money during the irrational bubble, but that's still better than bleeding out on the floor now. I'm not trying to time the dip either, that's a fool's play. I still have years to go, so I'm just waiting for an upturn that has some honest foundation under it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look what just popped into my email. What a load of....

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.00.17 PM.png

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This whole thread depresses me...I too was late to the game in learning about investing...I lost out on a lot if I had known. Oh well, just doing what I can now...I have heard a few interviews with this former trump advisor who started a fund to oppose the woke funds making bad investments for their clients: Why Strive? - Strive Asset Management

I just wish I had know what I was doing on some of the crypto plays because I could have seen some massive gains if I knew as much as I do now...nobody has a crystal ball!

Latest posts

Top Bottom