Incident at local indoor range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently, my gf and I went to an indoor range, which shall remain nameless, to try shooting a rented .380 pistol since she wants a micro pistol to carry while jogging. We were assigned a lane next to a middle-aged fellow shooting what looked like an LC9. While shooting was underway, the fellow at one point hung a new target and started sending it downrange. About 15 feet away from the bench, the target fell off the carrier to the ground. The fellow stared at it for a minute, then stepped to the empty lane next to his, flipped up the divider, and started after the fallen target. On a hot range, with several shooters next to us sending lead downrange at that moment.

I didn’t see him go, but my gf did and immediately said, politely but in a firm manner, that he needed to get his @$$ back behind the line pronto, and he did. She also went to the range desk and inform them of the fallen target, and the staff gave her a new target to pass on to the fellow. He hung the target and sent it downrange, and it fell off the carrier as well. At this point, the fellow went to the desk himself... leaving his pistol and gear on the bench. I got one of the staff aside to inform him the fellow had actually started downrange while it was still hot, and after the fellow came back with a staff member, the one I spoke with took the fellow aside to talk with him. The result was the fellow getting a new lane and target (due to a defective target carrier in the original lane) and he resumed shooting.

I was stunned that anyone would actually go downrange on a hot line, and I thought the situation should have been handled more firmly than with just a talk. As in, the fellow being told to leave immediately and mull over the potential consequences of his actions before coming back another day.

Comments?

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy cow !! I agree with you. He should of been asked to leave the facility so he could reflect on what the consequences of his actions could have been.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe it or not it was a regular occurrence when I was working. And people wondered why I was always yelling at folks. Dullards.

And I can honestly say that's not even the dumbest thing I'd see in a 12-hour day. Gah, now that you've reminded me, I think I need a drink. Sheesh ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom