1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Incident at local indoor range

Discussion in 'Gun Club/Range Talk' started by Perplexed, May 21, 2018.

1. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Recently, my gf and I went to an indoor range, which shall remain nameless, to try shooting a rented .380 pistol since she wants a micro pistol to carry while jogging. We were assigned a lane next to a middle-aged fellow shooting what looked like an LC9. While shooting was underway, the fellow at one point hung a new target and started sending it downrange. About 15 feet away from the bench, the target fell off the carrier to the ground. The fellow stared at it for a minute, then stepped to the empty lane next to his, flipped up the divider, and started after the fallen target. On a hot range, with several shooters next to us sending lead downrange at that moment.

I didn’t see him go, but my gf did and immediately said, politely but in a firm manner, that he needed to get his @$$ back behind the line pronto, and he did. She also went to the range desk and inform them of the fallen target, and the staff gave her a new target to pass on to the fellow. He hung the target and sent it downrange, and it fell off the carrier as well. At this point, the fellow went to the desk himself... leaving his pistol and gear on the bench. I got one of the staff aside to inform him the fellow had actually started downrange while it was still hot, and after the fellow came back with a staff member, the one I spoke with took the fellow aside to talk with him. The result was the fellow getting a new lane and target (due to a defective target carrier in the original lane) and he resumed shooting.

I was stunned that anyone would actually go downrange on a hot line, and I thought the situation should have been handled more firmly than with just a talk. As in, the fellow being told to leave immediately and mull over the potential consequences of his actions before coming back another day.

Comments?

2. jumpman250r

jumpman250r Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That’s crazy!

druryj likes this.
  3. Snake

Snake Sharpshooter

Darwin at work...

4. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Holy cow !! I agree with you. He should of been asked to leave the facility so he could reflect on what the consequences of his actions could have been.

5. Annie

Annie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Believe it or not it was a regular occurrence when I was working. And people wondered why I was always yelling at folks. Dullards.

And I can honestly say that's not even the dumbest thing I'd see in a 12-hour day. Gah, now that you've reminded me, I think I need a drink. Sheesh ...

Rod Snell likes this.
  6. SPDguns

SPDguns Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Beat me to it.

7. soonersfan

soonersfan Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I was at an indoor range when two guys came in with a pistol in a plastic tub and a scar rifle with a few boxes of ammo. I suspected they were rented and decided to keep an eye on them. They clearly had no idea what they were doing so I introduced myself and started talking to them (for our own safety more than anything). Turns out they were visiting from Australia and wanted an American experience. One had never touched a gun and the other had never seen one in person. They were more than happy to let me show them how to handle the guns safely.

I asked the guy at the counter what he possibly could have been thinking when he turned those two loose on the range. His response was that he showed them how to load them and they said they understood so he didn’t see what the problem was.

Annie likes this.
  8. RETOKSQUID

RETOKSQUID Sharpshooter

What a dumbass.

SABOT likes this.
  9. D. Hargrove

D. Hargrove Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Dipshitious Maximus, I guess the chap in the OPs initial post simply trusted his fellow range participants, shame on you for hurting his wittle feelers.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    SABOT and Annie like this.
  10. Annie

Annie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Trust NO man. NO man. It's not safe.:coffee2:

D. Hargrove likes this.