Indiana teachers hit by pellets in training drill sue police

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aug 27, 2020

Associated Press

MONTICELLO, IN — A group of teachers at a northern Indiana elementary school who were struck and injured last year by plastic pellets during an active shooter training drill are suing local police, accusing them of using excessive force during what the lawsuit calls the “Execution Style Drill.”

The federal lawsuit, filed last week by eight teachers who taught at Meadowlawn Elementary School in Monticello at the time of the January 2019 incident, names as defendants the White County Sheriff’s Department, four deputies and the department’s current and former sheriff. The lawsuit claims deputies from the White County Sheriff's Office used excessive force during an active shooter simulation drill.

It claims the deputies shot at the teachers with airsoft guns, striking them the plastic pellets that left bruising, bleeding, welts, and broken skin, and also subjected them to “verbal threats, expletives, and screaming."

Two of the eight teachers said they left teaching after the incident, which attracted national attention months later when the Indiana State Teachers Association testified about before Indiana's Legislature during a committee meeting. One of them was diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and continues to take prescription medication, the suit states.

“For each Plaintiff, the Execution Style Drill was one of the most terrifying experiences of her life. Immobilized by fear and the physical force of the bullets pinning them down, participants could not turn around. Doing so would have exposed them to shots in the face and shots at even closer range,” according to the suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Lafayette.

The complaint, which seeks compensatory and punitive damages, claims officers used excessive force, committed assault and battery, intentionally inflicted emotional distress and subjected teachers to unreasonable seizure and false imprisonment.

It states that on Jan. 4, 2019, teachers arrived at the school in Monticello, about halfway between Chicago and Indianapolis, anticipating a professional development day. They were instead separated into small groups and told by sheriff’s deputies to line up facing a wall and kneel.

An officer then shot the teachers across their backs at “point-blank range” as officers yelled threats and expletives at them, one officer yelling “I’m going to kill you all!” the suit contends.

Later that day, it contends the teachers were subject to a series of drills in which they were instructed to hide in classrooms, try to barricade doors from potential intruders and to throw tennis balls at the officers. During those drills, officers also shot the teachers with the airsoft guns.

Eight teachers out of about 35 that were present for the training have signed on to the lawsuit, The Indianapolis Star reported.

White County's attorney, George Loy, said Wednesday that the county does not comment on pending litigation.

The Indiana State Teachers Association, which represents the involved teachers, said it wants to prevent other teachers from enduring a similar incident.

“We do not believe that a school or trainer should conduct any kind of active shooter training drill that includes the firing of any type of projectile at an employee or a student,” said ISTA President Keith Gambill.

Somebody stepped in it. Are they telling me in this article the training session was just dropped onto the teachers without their consent and without a participation and damages waiver being signed? That is certainly what this article describes.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to have to go against the flow, here. I have a hard time believing that the teachers have any need to get through any "Paris Island" type training. There is a HUUUGE difference in a school teacher and a Marine recruit. It sounds to me like some probably poorly endowed sheriff's deputies who fantasize about being a real "tough guy" were allowed to go WAY over the line with this training. Somebody tell me why this isn't aggravated assault. I hope those teachers bankrupt the school and the sheriff's department.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to have to go against the flow, here. I have a hard time believing that the teachers have any need to get through any "Paris Island" type training. There is a HUUUGE difference in a school teacher and a Marine recruit. It sounds to me like some probably poorly endowed sheriff's deputies who fantasize about being a real "tough guy" were allowed to go WAY over the line with this training. Somebody tell me why this isn't aggravated assault. I hope those teachers bankrupt the school and the sheriff's department.
I'm guessing you have never been in a shooting or violent incident?
Those training exercises are designed to mimic real incidents when bad people come into a school and shoot kids and teachers.
I had the pleasure to participate in one of the training exercises in Moore Ok by a friend that was a SWAT member and trainer that specializes in school shooting training.
My original role was as a hostage. The "intruders" had us on our knees while screaming and pushing on us pretty hard. If we didn't follow instructions we got "special attention" that was much more physical.
There was a group of teachers and administrators sitting in the corner as observers.
A SWAT team of negotiators approached the classroom while talking to the aggressors.
When the negotiations broke down, the team inserted into the classroom firing simunitions Everybody had on full face masks and heavy clothing but it stung if hit.
After the insertion with a lot of screaming and simunitions being fired, it relaxed and we all milled about talking.
At that time I pulled the pistol from under my jacket and "shot" a couple of officers with the simunitions before getting "shot".
Part of the training to consider everyone a threat until completely clearing everyone in the room.
It certainly opened my eyes on how all this goes down and why LEO do certain things in school shootings. The shooter in real school shootings may try to dispose of the weapons and walk out with students to escape so everyone is considered a threat.
Going through the "paris island" training with some realistic pushing and shoving just lets the person know what to expect.
I hope you understand a little more now about how training is conducted and why it has to be realistic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom