This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coltish

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently acquired two rifles, and i dont know anything about them aside from make, model, and caliber. An unfired Savage stainless and composite 116 in 7mm mag and a Sears model 53 (Winchester model 70) .30-06 with a nice custom made leather sling and a 6x weaver scope mounted with see through mounts to access the irons. Any info on them, user opinions and especially any pros and cons for keeping or selling each. Example, Sell value vs use value is one thing im interested in hearing from people on. I dont hunt often, and i have other firearms to address other needs, so at a certain point cash value could be better used else where. I hope that makes sense. I appreciate and value everyones time and attention in advance. Thank you.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have a Sears Ted Williams model 53 in 30-06 that i carry in my truck all the time mine dont have any iron sights wish it did. It was in sort of rough condition when i got it but refinished the stock and done a durocoat on the receiver and barrel

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 53 years ago and wish I still had it. Not going to have the value of the Winchester name of course but it is a fine rifle.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had several Savage rifles...not that particular model. In my opinion they're the most accurate rifle for the money. I've owned several other bolt guns and none could compare. As a matter of fact, I had a beat up 110 in 7mm Mag with a cheap Bushnell scope that outshot a Remington 40XB Tactical in .308 with a high $$ Leupold scope at 100 yds. Kinda pissed me off.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had 3 Model 70s, Two pre -64s and one newer and a model 54, its predecessor that came before that they were modeled off of. They are my favorite hunting rifle bar none.
Just can't beat a Mauser style action IMO. You jack the bolt on one of those and that hot load is coming out and over your shoulder with authority. Then the next one is a guided round that will never jam. No silly clip to loose just business. If I was staring at a trophy of a lifetime it would be the rifle I want in my hands.

The newer one I got now, a 90s Classic will out shoot them all and it will never go anywhere.

The Sears is going to kill off some of the nosebleed price they want for old model 70s but it will be a fine dependable rifle. I have only owned one Savage in my life so I have no experience much with those.

Last edited:

Robbie72

New to the site!
Reaction score
We all have "the one that got away" story.. Mine was a Savage 116 in 30-06. Had a walnut stock, stainless barrel and stainless scope. One of the most accurate shooters I've ever owned. Sadly it was stolen. I've looked forever for one and have yet to come across one. My opinion... Savage doesn't get the credit they deserve. The 110 and 116 are hands down some of the best rifles out there. I've had other rifles with bigger names and price tags that don't shoot as well.