Info on the big churches in OKC area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To express his faith to others . . . . that's it.

I've never understood the CofC fascination with limiting how God saves folks . . . and how we worship Him.
Wait. Express his faith to others. He was there with his family, Paul and Silas. Why would he need to get baptized to show them his faith? They knew he had faith. He had already confessed that he believed in Jesus. If it was so important to “show his faith” then why didn’t he and his family wait until the next day and do it on front of a bunch of people? The reason is because baptism IS ESSENTIAL for salvation. Period. He and his family were not saved when they believed. It was only after they were baptized that they were saved. As I’ve done before I could post numerous scriptures and you and many others would still claim something other than what the text says. It’s not what the churches of Christ believe, it’s what scripture says. And to be clear, we are only saved by the blood of Jesus Christ.

Scripture says that there is only one faith and ONE baptism. And the text teaches that baptism is for the forgiveness of sins. Yet you say it’s to “show your faith”. That is nowhere in scripture. I have heard so many people use this. It’s flat out wrong. Jesus himself said that we have to be born again of water and the spirit to enter heaven. He is referring to baptism. Because we don’t receive the Holy Spirit until we are baptized for forgiveness per Acts 2:38. Why do you and so many others ignore what the text says and believe something that a man made up? It is 100% clear. There is no need to interpret it.

Look, I don’t know who is going to Heaven. Only Jesus Christ and God know. We have the Bible to use as our guide on how to live. That’s it. There is nothing else to use. I try and live as closely to scripture as I can. Of course I sin all the time and will never deserve to go to heaven. None of us will. But I won’t give up.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And it is your view that based on this particular scripture that baptism is an absolute requirement to be saved? That if someone repents, confesses their sins, names Christ their Lord and Savior but dies before they're baptized that they aren't truly saved?

That Christ needs us to be baptized in order to save us? Rather than baptism being our expression of faith to others . . . and FOR others to physically see us immersed in water to be raised in a new life?

I'm not saved because I was baptized. I'm saved because I believe Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. I was baptized to show those I attended church with that I am now one with them in the body of Christ. I received salvation in Him when I stated my belief and faith in Him.
Show me where it says to get baptized to show others we are members of the body of Christ. Or that we are to get baptized to “show our faith”. If you read through the entire New Testament and put together all the scriptures on baptism, salvation and forgiveness it’s clear what we are to do to be saved. Why does the text say “one faith, one baptism”? It says nothing about baptism being about showing your faith to others. But it does say it’s for forgiveness or sins and to receive the Holy Spirit.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was only after they were baptized that they were saved.

And to be clear, we are only saved by the blood of Jesus Christ.

giphy.gif

John 3:16 KJV
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17 (KJV)
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Ephesians 2:8 (KJV)
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Scripture says that there is only one faith and ONE baptism. And the text teaches that baptism is for the forgiveness of sins. Yet you say it’s to “show your faith”. That is nowhere in scripture. I have heard so many people use this. It’s flat out wrong. Jesus himself said that we have to be born again of water and the spirit to enter heaven. He is referring to baptism. Because we don’t receive the Holy Spirit until we are baptized for forgiveness per Acts 2:38. Why do you and so many others ignore what the text says and believe something that a man made up? It is 100% clear. There is no need to interpret it.

Why does John the Baptist state this in Matthew 3?

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Or the woman at the end of Luke chapter 7?

47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. 49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? 50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Look, I don’t know who is going to Heaven. Only Jesus Christ and God know. We have the Bible to use as our guide on how to live. That’s it. There is nothing else to use. I try and live as closely to scripture as I can. Of course I sin all the time and will never deserve to go to heaven. None of us will. But I won’t give up.

None of us do . . . but as I stated, attending the CofC for 20+ years I know a lot of folks who think they're the only ones who'll be there.

We're not going to agree on this . . . and we don't have to.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
giphy.gif

John 3:16 KJV
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17 (KJV)
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Ephesians 2:8 (KJV)
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Why does John the Baptist state this in Matthew 3?

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Or the woman at the end of Luke chapter 7?

47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. 49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? 50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

None of us do . . . but as I stated, attending the CofC for 20+ years I know a lot of folks who think they're the only ones who'll be there.

We're not going to agree on this . . . and we don't have to.
Again, your doing your best to find the scriptures that back up what you want to believe. There are far more that prove baptism IS essential. It is not an act of faith. It is a requirement. And before Jesus died and was resurrected he could forgive anyone he wanted to. Just like that thief on the cross. Many people always use that. It’s easy to debunk. The new covenant had yet to be established. As for John the Baptist’s baptism. It was different. But there is only ONE baptism in regards to Jesus Christ and being saved. And that is for the forgiveness of sins. But I know I’m wasting my breath. Like I’ve said before, either you and others are right and we all have heaven wrapped, or I am right and many won’t make it to heaven. I ain’t taking any chances. As I’ve also stated, this isn’t about me being right. It’s about the truth. I see many folks try harder to prove you just have to believe than they do living according to scripture. Belief is easy. Even the demons believe. So your telling me they are going to heaven? Because if baptism isn’t required then they should go to heaven. Baptism is meaningless if not done for forgiveness. Theft is no reason to “show others your faith”. Do they save you or does Jesus? And why haven’t you answered my questions about where it says that in scripture? We both know why. It’s not found anywhere in scripture. But you know what is? That we MUST be baptized to be forgiven of our sins. Jesus said it, Peter said it.

When you piece together all the scriptures on salvation and forgiveness it’s clear what we are to do. And it’s not just believe. There is nowhere that says to get baptized to show your faith to others. Baptism represents us burying our old sinful selves in the watery grave and raising a new creation, being born again. Which Jesus told Nicodemus you had to do to go to heaven. He said you have to be “born again of water and the spirit”. Then acts 2:38 says that we just confess our sins and repent of them, be baptized to be forgiven and THEN we receive the Holy Spirit. We don’t receive it any other way. I know sometimes the COC go to far with how strict they are. But most other places are far to loose. There has to be a middle ground. Far more is involved with being a Christian than just belief. Yet a great many believe that’s the ONLY requirement to go to Heaven. That is blatantly false. We are to deny ourselves and take up the cross daily and follow Jesus. That means we are to suffer for Christ and turn our backs on the world and the flesh. Which is not an easy thing to do.
As for some in the COC thinking that we are the only ones going to Heaven, that is wrong. But I can understand how some feel that way. I’ve struggled with it myself. If a congregation teaches the truth and lives according to scripture it doesn’t matter what the denomination is. Usually though, the one’s that choose names other than Churches of Christ or Churches of God, tend to not follow scripture. I mean, I why would someone name a congregation after a man? It says in scripture that there are two names for the Lords church. Churches of Christ or Churches of God. So when I see a place that has ignored that I Immediately question what they believe. If they would ignore that, they would more than likely ignore other things. Which many places do.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Apostolic Churches believe in speaking in tongues and if one doesn't they are not filled with the Holy Spirit and will not meet the requirements that one needs to get into Heaven. Many Pentecostal churches believe that they are the only ones that will enter Heaven. the Bible says, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God and if we say we are without sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us." Personally, I do't care what the churches may feel or say, I believe in the Bible and what it says. It says be baptized int he name of the... So Iw as baptized because I wanted to be it was not a requirement to be saved but I felt it was necessary although I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that I was saved. What I disagree with is that some denominations require baptism in order to join their church. Remember also, that" there are many denominations but one Lord."

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One should read Matthew 7. It is the last of the Sermon on the Mount given by Jesus. Also, pay attention to verses 21 through 23.

"21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again, your doing your best to find the scriptures that back up what you want to believe. There are far more that prove baptism IS essential. It is not an act of faith. It is a requirement. And before Jesus died and was resurrected he could forgive anyone he wanted to. Just like that thief on the cross. Many people always use that. It’s easy to debunk. The new covenant had yet to be established. As for John the Baptist’s baptism. It was different. But there is only ONE baptism in regards to Jesus Christ and being saved. And that is for the forgiveness of sins. But I know I’m wasting my breath. Like I’ve said before, either you and others are right and we all have heaven wrapped, or I am right and many won’t make it to heaven. I ain’t taking any chances. As I’ve also stated, this isn’t about me being right. It’s about the truth. I see many folks try harder to prove you just have to believe than they do living according to scripture. Belief is easy. Even the demons believe. So your telling me they are going to heaven? Because if baptism isn’t required then they should go to heaven. Baptism is meaningless if not done for forgiveness. Theft is no reason to “show others your faith”. Do they save you or does Jesus? And why haven’t you answered my questions about where it says that in scripture? We both know why. It’s not found anywhere in scripture. But you know what is? That we MUST be baptized to be forgiven of our sins. Jesus said it, Peter said it.

When you piece together all the scriptures on salvation and forgiveness it’s clear what we are to do. And it’s not just believe. There is nowhere that says to get baptized to show your faith to others. Baptism represents us burying our old sinful selves in the watery grave and raising a new creation, being born again. Which Jesus told Nicodemus you had to do to go to heaven. He said you have to be “born again of water and the spirit”. Then acts 2:38 says that we just confess our sins and repent of them, be baptized to be forgiven and THEN we receive the Holy Spirit. We don’t receive it any other way. I know sometimes the COC go to far with how strict they are. But most other places are far to loose. There has to be a middle ground. Far more is involved with being a Christian than just belief. Yet a great many believe that’s the ONLY requirement to go to Heaven. That is blatantly false. We are to deny ourselves and take up the cross daily and follow Jesus. That means we are to suffer for Christ and turn our backs on the world and the flesh. Which is not an easy thing to do.
As for some in the COC thinking that we are the only ones going to Heaven, that is wrong. But I can understand how some feel that way. I’ve struggled with it myself. If a congregation teaches the truth and lives according to scripture it doesn’t matter what the denomination is. Usually though, the one’s that choose names other than Churches of Christ or Churches of God, tend to not follow scripture. I mean, I why would someone name a congregation after a man? It says in scripture that there are two names for the Lords church. Churches of Christ or Churches of God. So when I see a place that has ignored that I Immediately question what they believe. If they would ignore that, they would more than likely ignore other things. Which many places do.

Before we began attending a CofC my family attended the local Assembly of God and we were all baptized in that church. Things happened at that church that pushed my parents to begin attending the CofC with other family members. When we began attending the CofC we were told our AG baptism didn't count . . . . and that we had to be baptized in the CofC in order for it to be legit. If what you're claiming is true about the CofC why do most of them push that same narrative? I've seen folks refuse communion to visitors because they weren't baptized in a CofC. Those same folks will proclaim that any church using musical instruments (regardless of whether they teach biblical truth or not) is also wrong.

And I've yet to see anyone state that believing is all that is required to be a Christian . . . there is so much more that goes into the idea of believing. We can't believe unless we acknowledge our sinful nature and confess of those sins. And I'm not saying that I'm discouraging people from being baptized. What I'm saying is that I can't fathom a Christian telling someone who believes, repents and confesses that they can't be a Christian since they may have a health issue (or other circumstance) that prevents them from being baptized.

Latest posts

Top Bottom