Info on the big churches in OKC area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then read Matthew 28. Why did Jesus himself tell the apostle to "make disciples of the nations and baptize?"

Verses 19 and following:

19 Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit: 20 teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

Now do Acts 2:16-21 . . .

16No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:17‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out My Spirit on all people.Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.18Even on My menservants and maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.19I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.20The sun will be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the coming of the great and glorious Day of the Lord.21And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’

I attended a CofC for close to 20 years . . . their prohibition of folks who do everything BUT get baptized due to whatever reason being saved and bashing folks who used their musical talents to worship God became too much.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now do Acts 2:16-21 . . .

16No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:17‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out My Spirit on all people.Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.18Even on My menservants and maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.19I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.20The sun will be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the coming of the great and glorious Day of the Lord.21And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’

I attended a CofC for close to 20 years . . . their prohibition of folks who do everything BUT get baptized due to whatever reason being saved and bashing folks who used their musical talents to worship God became too much.

Since you are quoting Acts 2, read down a bit further:

"37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and the rest of the apostles, Brethren, what shall we do? 38 And Peter said unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins; and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you are quoting Acts 2, read down a bit further:

"37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and the rest of the apostles, Brethren, what shall we do? 38 And Peter said unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins; and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Yeah dude . . . I know. I heard that every Sunday for 20 years . . . folks can selectively find scripture to back up arguments all day.

We're saved by the blood of Christ. Not by the Holy Spirit.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
A number of years ago, I was having an online discussion at a blog about religious things. I spoke of Church of Christ "followers" that believed in taking the Bible at its word. This person I was discussing with then accused me of being a "fundamentalist Christian" in an attempt to paint me as like a "fundamentalist Muslim."

It's not really persecution in my mind, but it seems it was a start.
If I'm ever accused of being a Christian and a worshiper of God, I pray there is enough evidence to convict me.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. That's what the first part of verse 38 refers to.

And it is your view that based on this particular scripture that baptism is an absolute requirement to be saved? That if someone repents, confesses their sins, names Christ their Lord and Savior but dies before they're baptized that they aren't truly saved?

That Christ needs us to be baptized in order to save us? Rather than baptism being our expression of faith to others . . . and FOR others to physically see us immersed in water to be raised in a new life?

I'm not saved because I was baptized. I'm saved because I believe Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. I was baptized to show those I attended church with that I am now one with them in the body of Christ. I received salvation in Him when I stated my belief and faith in Him.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it is your view that based on this particular scripture that baptism is an absolute requirement to be saved? That if someone repents, confesses their sins, names Christ their Lord and Savior but dies before they're baptized that they aren't truly saved?

That Christ needs us to be baptized in order to save us? Rather than baptism being our expression of faith to others . . . and FOR others to physically see us immersed in water to be raised in a new life?

I'm not saved because I was baptized. I'm saved because I believe Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. I was baptized to show those I attended church with that I am now one with them in the body of Christ. I received salvation in Him when I stated my belief and faith in Him.

+100

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ
Yes, and some churches re-baptize based on that verse.vs in the name of the Father, son and Holy Spirit. But the main and only thing is to repent and believe upon the Lord Jesus Christ. My mother was baptized the old way in the name...adn then she went to some church that baptized in the name of Jesus so she wanted to make sure...

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not just that one scripture. Multiple scriptures throughout the New Testament.

Latest posts

Top Bottom