Info on this old Lever Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was in my grandfathers possession for years, and I believe it was my great grandfathers originally. As you can see it’s not in the best shape, but it’s sat unused for at least 50 years. It’s not for sale (unless it’ll pay off my house) but I was curious if anyone on here knew much about them. I’d like to round up some ammo for it and see how it shoots.
F75A5CCE-DE1D-4C07-A92D-0A73651ACC5A.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D3028FC-E88F-4BE4-9373-B21772D51DDA.jpeg
    1D3028FC-E88F-4BE4-9373-B21772D51DDA.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 127
  • F68E9762-219C-44EB-9D25-9DC761820856.jpeg
    F68E9762-219C-44EB-9D25-9DC761820856.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 120
  • C8B2C1EE-71A3-4EBE-B3CD-69B42C936BB8.jpeg
    C8B2C1EE-71A3-4EBE-B3CD-69B42C936BB8.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 641A4C0B-5E1A-41C0-9F7E-F35299923ED2.jpeg
    641A4C0B-5E1A-41C0-9F7E-F35299923ED2.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 118

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
This was in my grandfathers possession for years, and I believe it was my great grandfathers originally. As you can see it’s not in the best shape, but it’s sat unused for at least 50 years. It’s not for sale (unless it’ll pay off my house) but I was curious if anyone on here knew much about them. I’d like to round up some ammo for it and see how it shoots. View attachment 214730
I'm pulling up that it's made in 1906, which means it can shoot modern .32 WCF loads. The model 92 used the same action (but smaller) as the 1886. It's a Browning design and has two big lugs that lockup the bolt towards the rear. The lever pulls the lugs down to unlock the bolt so it can move rearward. Very tough and strong action and Winchester made it to replace the 1873 for the hotter ammo coming out. Nice gun. I'd clean it of loose dirt and oil it with a good oil and punch the bore. Don't scrub it, You want to keep that nice plum color patina. You can find .32 WCF (Winchester Center Fire), more commonly known as .32-20 or 32-20 Winchester, online and it pops up at gunshows and shops every now and then. Folks tend to buy it up though because they use it for CAS and to shoot in their old guns. If I find where some is, I'll PM you.

Last edited:

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would be a good oil to use? The safe had been locked for years after my grandfather passed and we just now found the key and combo. I expected everything in it to be rusted up but surprisingly only small patches here and there. I was nervous to use any oil on it. He also had a couple Remington Model 12 shotguns and a Remington takedown .22 LR automatic, among a few other inexpensive guns that I believe were actually his. I think these nicer, older guns were all from my grandmother’s dad. I really doubt they’ve been fired in 70 years.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
What would be a good oil to use? The safe had been locked for years after my grandfather passed and we just now found the key and combo. I expected everything in it to be rusted up but surprisingly only small patches here and there. I was nervous to use any oil on it. He also had a couple Remington Model 12 shotguns and a Remington takedown .22 LR automatic, among a few other inexpensive guns that I believe were actually his. I think these nicer, older guns were all from my grandmother’s dad. I really doubt they’ve been fired in 70 years.
I recommend to stay away from any and all solvent/penetrating oils like WD-40 and aerosols. They remove remaining finishes. They're good on your fire door on your smoker but not fine old guns; or any gun for that matter. For my old guns, I use a light quality gun oil like hoppes or even sewing machine oil. I really like Clenzoil as well. I don't use Break-Free or any of the modern oils because they are formulated usually for high heat and military guns...great for parkerized and newer guns, not necessarily good for finishes that are old and more delicate.

For light rust, you can use (most recommend this) #0000 steel wool and lightly rub it off (Only the surface rust areas, don't use it anywhere else no matter the temptation). Don't scrub, Don't scrub, Don't scrub. You will be tempted to. Some people recommend using with oil and some without. I use without then wipe off with the light oil. Any pitting rust you can use an old penny that has a high copper content (60's or earlier) with a little oil. Then wipe with a soft cloth and your oil to remove the copper stain. Wipe the gun down with the oil and then wipe the gun off so dust and crap doesn't collect on it. Lightly oil all moving parts...like a small drop per point unless you are shooting then use little more.

If your hesitant, you can take them to a qualified, COMPETENT, and Reputable gunsmith to do it for you.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For guns like this Ballistol is almost so perfect it's like it's made for them. Won't hurt wood, plastic or anything. You need to keep it inspected for corrosion as it's not the best but will provide some protection. For cleaning and lube it's perfect.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the patina as is, so I’ll probably try some Ballistol since I’d meant to order some anyway and just call it good. I wish it were a .30-30 because I have enough rounds of that to enjoy some use out of it. I have a couple pre-64 94s, one from my great grandfather on the other side of the family, and one sourced from another member on here, and they’re really my favorite handling gun I’ve ever used. This 92 has that same feel, it’s just in a fairly anemic chambering to be of much use other than target or dispatching a varmint.

Latest posts

Top Bottom