Info on this old Lever Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a very small, maybe a mouse house kinda small, lets talk. That's a great gun and most people will say leave it alone but I say restore it and protect it. If you ever want to get rid of it, let me know but I'll never be able to give you what it's worth.
That would be a great project for me. Keep us updated please (with pictures)

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was in my grandfathers possession for years, and I believe it was my great grandfathers originally. As you can see it’s not in the best shape, but it’s sat unused for at least 50 years. It’s not for sale (unless it’ll pay off my house) but I was curious if anyone on here knew much about them. I’d like to round up some ammo for it and see how it shoots. View attachment 214730
That thing beautiful, I’m extremely jealous!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's good to take care of the rust, but you need to be exceptionally careful. I've mentioned before that I saw a Colt SAA, made in, IIRC, 1896, where the guy had "cleaned up some rust" and turned a $1500+ antique into a $400 wallhanger (and this was in 1990s dollars). The truly sad part was what we saw when we pulled the ejector rod housing--some of the most beautiful bluing you've ever seen...

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the patina as is, so I’ll probably try some Ballistol since I’d meant to order some anyway and just call it good. I wish it were a .30-30 because I have enough rounds of that to enjoy some use out of it. I have a couple pre-64 94s, one from my great grandfather on the other side of the family, and one sourced from another member on here, and they’re really my favorite handling gun I’ve ever used. This 92 has that same feel, it’s just in a fairly anemic chambering to be of much use other than target or dispatching a varmint.
IMHO, Unless you are going to have a full on museum quality resto done, you're on the right track. That nice plum color that's on there is the old bluing and it and the stock finish is where it's value comes from. Collectors value that even above a full resto. It's a really good looking gun.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see enough rust to worry about. A scrubbing with Ballistol and a soft cotton cloth, pipe cleaners, q-tips, etc is what I'd do. A boresnake and just all around cleanup with non abrasive items. Shoot it and maintain as normal.

You could even use some good paste wax like Renaissance or even Johnsons if you wanted but I like a regular oil wipedown myself. Just my preference.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't listen to a thing these carpetbaggers are saying. I on the other hand would give you the 60 bucks you deserve for that heirloom.
I don't buy the "don't touch it" stuff. You want to be able to enjoy it as it was made. Yes it's a great gun but there are more out there. I say restore it before all you'll be passing on to your kids/grandkids is dust.
I can't help but think how beautiful it could be with the original furniture.
If you decide to sell it (just saying because I know you wouldn't) and I could afford it, plus the bore is good. I'd restore it to a fully restored gun with the original parts except the bluing. It would be show room. At least I'm be honest about it even if it cost me a chance to buy it some day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom