Info on this old Lever Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think I could ever part it. On my fathers side of the family, when my grandfather passed my grandmother asked us to come over and choose a few guns to keep. Being that my father lived next door, he and I decided to let others come and choose first as a kind gesture. That was a mistake, as there wasn’t a gun left when it was all said and done. These are the only heirlooms I’ll get, and these were locked up to never see light (my grandmother is a liberal feminist of the worst sort, and my grandfather too peaceable to have ever contradicted her) so they don’t hold the same sentimental value, but they are still something to pass onto my son. I’ll get them by default, because I’m the only descendant who owns any to begin with, and nobody else would have any interest at all. Some would actually be afraid of them.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep it and enjoy it. That rifle will bring more than a $1000ish any day of the week. Leave the patina that is on it, anything else will devalue it to a true collector.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my cousin passed away in upland Cali a few years back, he had a great collection of expensive guns. His two sons were garbage. Never visited their dad in years nor let him know his grand kids, but the day of his funeral both of them met at my sisters house with their lawyers to fight over his estate. His dad had given him his business an he had no will. I got so mad, I had to go to a local bar and have a few drinks even though my sis had a great bar and pool. I just had to get out before I went way overboard. Anyway, my other Sis, Cherie, had flown out the day after we heard he passed. I was looking at some of his guns and was told by his dad to take any of them I wanted. He would have wanted me to have them than his worthless (fully liberal crap kids). I wish now I had done so. He had some beauties that would hit in the 4 grand level. He had some old lever guns that were 1800 and in excellent shape. Two of this colt revolvers were museum quality. CRAP!. If I knew what those two POS's were going to do before his body was cold, in front of his mom and dad, I would have take all of them.
That's sad. My cousin was a lifetime Cali. but he spent most of his free time in the desert shooting and loved Oklahoma. He planned to move here or Georgia (ex wife thing) when he retired but things didn't work out that way. Spent a lot of time with him and he was so disappointed in his sons. They were spoiled to the bone and hated guns, conservatives and me. Ha.
It would have been so cool if he could have passed those down to someone that would have kept them in the family. Good for you sir. I think you may have got the best in the herd.

Pietro Panama

New to the site!
Reaction score

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you share your procedures?
I just think you need to do something to protect it from getting any more rust or damage. It will turn to a piece of corrugated tin roofing if you let it. Maybe even send it to a top shelf gun smith that knows how to make the gun safe to pass down.
I was one of the "don't ever touch" an historic or heirloom gun. That's very smart but I've changed. I want' mine to be well again. I want to do what every I can to make it sweet and shoot if possible. I got a bunch of the "you ruined it" from collectors but they would follow it with some ridiculous low ball figure now. If I ruined it, why do they want to buy it? After a bit, they would offer as much and more than they did when they first found out I had one.
That's just me and my little experience with a weapon of some value. Might have just got lucky, but the bottom of that barrel, if not properly treated, is in trouble. If you live in a very humid area of the world, even with dehumidifiers, you are taking a risk. IMO

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I collect vintage rifles... most Marlin levers (1892, 1893, 1894 models all from your era, but Ballards to from a couple decades earlier. Your rifle is in very good condition from the pictures. The wood to metal fit is great.

I tear mine down, all the way down. Then soak the metal in 50/50 ATF/Acetone and lightly rub down surfaces with Bronze wool. If the bore is even decent it will likely still shoot very good. If leaded, you may need to use Birchwood Casey ‘leadaway patches’. As has been said, its strong enough but personally I’d stick to cast bullets. That is another hill though, as you need to reload and you need to size bullets properly to groove diameter or you’ll create leading issues where you may have had none. I cast and load for about 12 vintage calibers so if you go that route shoot me a PM. Btw, in reference to that 32-20 post. My 32 WCF is more like a 32 Special. My 32-20 is a pistol size cartridge.

I wouldn’t do a thing to the wood but clean it. That gun, in the shape its in, in my opinion and every other collector as well as vintage shooter I know, is not a candidate for restoration. There is nothing to restore. Perfect the way it is! If you do decide to tear it down I’ll lend you my gun bath, or tell you how to make one.

Levergun Scoundrels is a good site for advice on these vintage guns. They have a good library as well.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I collect vintage rifles... most Marlin levers (1892, 1893, 1894 models all from your era, but Ballards to from a couple decades earlier. Your rifle is in very good condition from the pictures. The wood to metal fit is great.

I tear mine down, all the way down. Then soak the metal in 50/50 ATF/Acetone and lightly rub down surfaces with Bronze wool. If the bore is even decent it will likely still shoot very good. If leaded, you may need to use Birchwood Casey ‘leadaway patches’. As has been said, its strong enough but personally I’d stick to cast bullets. That is another hill though, as you need to reload and you need to size bullets properly to groove diameter or you’ll create leading issues where you may have had none. I cast and load for about 12 vintage calibers so if you go that route shoot me a PM. Btw, in reference to that 32-20 post. My 32 WCF is more like a 32 Special. My 32-20 is a pistol size cartridge.

I wouldn’t do a thing to the wood but clean it. That gun, in the shape its in, in my opinion and every other collector as well as vintage shooter I know, is not a candidate for restoration. There is nothing to restore. Perfect the way it is! If you do decide to tear it down I’ll lend you my gun bath, or tell you how to make one.

Levergun Scoundrels is a good site for advice on these vintage guns. They have a good library as well.
This guy is so right. He's giving you the suggestion I made except his is better to follow with the same result. Protect this great firearm.
If Sgt is willing to give you some step by step, particularly if he can advise on products to use, beg him for his help. Nothing like great advice you can follow and I vote this is the best I've seen on this post so far.. SGT knows his stuff

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Steelfingers.
I was lucky enough to fall in with a whole group of fellas with similar interest who love to share their knowledge and experience. It started out almost 10 years ago gathering in the Okanogan Valley for about a week of shooting old vintage guns at targets anywhere from 300 to 1000 yards out off our host’s front porch. Every year, aweek’s worth of relaxed exchange between a bunch of old guys committed to their old rifles... now that opportunity you are grateful for!

Our hoste was a bigger-than life sort of character and I’d guess no less that 6-7 of us went on to start shooting Black Powder Cartridge (BPCR) Matches on account of that gentleman. Unfortunately we lost him a couple years ago. I’ll have to post a couple videos of the fun we had and what those old guns are capable of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom