Input as to why this wouldn't work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenney Minter

New to the site!
Reaction score
This is my 1st time posting, so excuse me if this is a stupid question. I have been working on what I would consider the perfect AR15 for shtf situation for a couple years now. Im waiting on an inconel gas tube to replace the stainless one. But I always feel like the set screw style gas block is a major weak point. I could pin it, but I'm not crazy about the idea of taking metal away from my barrel. So here's my thoughts and question. Could I wrap wet rags around the gas block once it's aligned correctly, then tig weld a very small spot from the gas block to the set screw, I mean just lightly feather it in, while using an allen wrench to make sure it stays torqued while im doing it? I weld for a living and couldn't see this causing any warpage. Only issue I'd see is getting the block off later. But if the weld was small like I plan I could just use a small air sander to sand the tig weld down enough to break the set screw free. Any one think thats a horrible ideal and why?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see it being a problem. However, I think you're looking for a problem that isn't one, honestly. You could dimple your barrel for the set screws, but I can't say I've ever heard of a gas block coming loose. I think there are lots of other issues you'd run into much more commonly than that.

As far as gas blocks, you've got pinned, set screw and clamp on. I think the set screw is the perfect compromise between stability and ease of application/replacement.

Kenney Minter

New to the site!
Reaction score
Pin the damn barrel
I might. I have a geisslie super gas block ordered and everything i need to drill it. But im not sure if it's really even in stock or not at optics planet. It said it was, so im waiting to see. But if not im wanting a plan B. I dont have the jig to drill and pin the gas block I have now. And I don't want to pay that much for the jig,drill bit, and reamer, just to do one rifle.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just have it pinned and not have to worry about it. You gas tube is supposed to fail before the barrel does to save the barrel. Any other high-speed low-drag gas tube is over kill. Much cheaper to replace a gas to replace a gas tube than a barrel, cheaper too.

I wouldn't use a clamp on gas block for that situation myself

Or just keep and allen key in the pistol grip to make sure its good-n-tite

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree that if you are that worried about it, just pin the gas block and be done with it.

Dimpled barrel with set screws and locktite seem to work for a lot of people though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom