Insomniacs anonymous

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My problem wasn’t falling asleep. I’d be out within a minute of laying down. My problem was staying asleep. I’d wake up at 2ish every morning. Finally got a CPAP for the apnea and go the whole night. I sleep through those little urges to go to the bathroom too. Before, it was like, well I’m awake I might as well get up to pee.
If you suspect you might have apnea, get a sleep study done. It’s been a life changer for me.
I have a bad case of sleep apnea. I did the test and was issued a machine. The machine put up so much pressure that I had trouble exhaling. So, I didn't another test with a Bpac machine, and they said it is what I need. I have to go back to the sleep doctor next Friday so Medicare will cover it. I hope it is worth it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had to do the home one which was not accurate. No one fits my schedule and no one has a bed that raises a bit for my back. The only way I can get to sleep is on my side. The CPAP I had just didn't fit. It kept clamping my nose shut then tried to blow me up like I was sticking my head out of a car window at speed. I sold the damn thing.
The place I had mine done at had adjustable beds. The TV had every channel you could think of. I use the full mask that covers my nose and mouth. I can only sleep on my side also due to various things. That was a little tough because of all the monitors they had on me.
I recently went for a couple weeks without because of surgery on my nose. I couldn’t wait to get back to using it.
I hope you find something that works. I despise taking meds but I would certainly consider it if I had to.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bad case of sleep apnea. I did the test and was issued a machine. The machine put up so much pressure that I had trouble exhaling. So, I didn't another test with a Bpac machine, and they said it is what I need. I have to go back to the sleep doctor next Friday so Medicare will cover it. I hope it is worth it.
This is for @Snattlerake too. At first the pressure caught me off guard. The machine was incredibly sensitive. I played around with and realized that if I held my breath, the pressure would decrease. Once I figured out what the machine was doing and how it worked, I was more comfortable with it.
It feels so normal now that occasionally I lift the mask up just to hear the air blowing out to see if it’s on or not.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Linda said I used to stop breathing several times a night and it would scare the business out of her. I know I’d wake myself up a couple times a night gasping for air. Two years back I lost maybe 55 pounds and recently asked the Mrs how my snoring has been. She said it’s much better and she hasn’t caught me not breathing for a long time.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My problem wasn’t falling asleep. I’d be out within a minute of laying down. My problem was staying asleep. I’d wake up at 2ish every morning. Finally got a CPAP for the apnea and go the whole night. I sleep through those little urges to go to the bathroom too. Before, it was like, well I’m awake I might as well get up to pee.
If you suspect you might have apnea, get a sleep study done. It’s been a life changer for me.
I'll second everything said here. Every morning I woke up I felt exhausted. Did a sleep study. Averaged 88 "events" an hour. Got a CPAP. Now I average 1 event an hour. Completely changed my life for the better. Possibly even saved my life. I have not slept 1 night without the CPAP since I got it. I have a portable power supply to run the machine at deer camp, when we go 4 wheeling in the Ozark mountains and in case of a power outage.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is for @Snattlerake too. At first the pressure caught me off guard. The machine was incredibly sensitive. I played around with and realized that if I held my breath, the pressure would decrease. Once I figured out what the machine was doing and how it worked, I was more comfortable with it.
It feels so normal now that occasionally I lift the mask up just to hear the air blowing out to see if it’s on or not.
When I complained about the machine to the outfit that issued it to me the gal there told me that it was set on maximum pressure. She was the first person to suggest that I may need the Bpac machine, and the doctor agreed with her.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The place I had mine done at had adjustable beds. The TV had every channel you could think of. I use the full mask that covers my nose and mouth. I can only sleep on my side also due to various things. That was a little tough because of all the monitors they had on me.
I recently went for a couple weeks without because of surgery on my nose. I couldn’t wait to get back to using it.
I hope you find something that works. I despise taking meds but I would certainly consider it if I had to.
Where was this?

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone else out there who cannot sleep?
yep. Been working on the water heater, needed a break. Measured some parts for a modification to my Unimat micro-lathes, downloaded some photos to help me figure out some other mods and additions for it, Ordered some tools from Amazon & eBay, and that was before I decided I couldn't go back to sleep at about 4:30am.

Should be able to go to HD and get some stuff I'm going to need from them here in a few minutes.

late addition, since I see I'm late to the party anyway. I was sleeping fine until SWMBO decided she was hungry. About 2pm. OMK's usually wake me up about this time anyway, so no big deal, but I'm trying fix my workshop up so it's usable, which has been an ongoing problem for decades, and was aggravated like mad when my youngest child and SO moved in a couple of months ago. 'bout 2 cubic yards of stuff from the former garage went back in the former back porch that is my official workshop. Filled in all the aisles, and I'm having to work my way thorough there to find the stuff I need.

Auto accident in late November hurt SWMBO, but not as badly as it could. No bleeding, no compound fractures. Has increased her pain, and was already at the point where I'd probably be screaming even with morphine. Car was destroyed, had to replace it. Bought a very used mini-van, repaired her old power wheel chair, since pushing the unpowered one was causing my back to hurt worse. Installed the old wheelchair lift in said van, and got it working, too. And constantly digging around in that room looking for stuff I need. The bag of hardware from the lift I took out when I pulled it out of the old van 15 years ago was in there somewhere, I know it was because I ran into it before I bought the van. Can't find it. Found another bag with spare feet for the lift that had never been installed, too. Can't find them, either. Had to make or buy hardware to install the lift.

While ordering hardware and electronics for the Unimat motor upgrade, I found a place that has the same style of connector the lift uses, and I figured I use them on both the lift and the Unimat 24VDC motors. While I was looking for stuff this morning, I found tiny digital volt/ammeters and bought a 5-pack. I only really need three, but what the heck! Have one and a half bench tops cleared off, and need to move another load of motor stuff to that location. Had an epidural injection in the back yesterday, been and doc told me to go have fun. I asked if the water heater counted as fun, and he warned me not to try to lift the water heater myself. Told him both old and new are tankless. and he said to have fun!

Pretty sure that by Monday, when SWMBO has special bloodwork scheduled, it will smell like a good idea if we can all take hot showers again. Ya'all have a great weekend, and get some rest of you can. I figure I might be able to rest when I die. They should at least let my lay myself down. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom