Installing cell booster on truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be interested in how this works out.

I thought about purchasing one for my ranch which is down in the Canadian River Valley approx. 20 miles as the crow flies from the nearest cell tower...I can get spotty reception at best....let us know how yours work out...

For the record my Setup is a few years older than the model @amcardon is installing. like the picture above, the kit includes a antenna reciever, amplifier box, and an internal broadcast antenna. You can typically flip the power on and off as needed, and the bigger the external antenna, the more range you have. The internal broadcast antenna typically creates a 24-36 inch bubble of improved reception. I've found it to be valuable. When I was in the oil business, my booster meant the difference between making a call or not, or having a data connection. At one point in time it meant that I could get the address to the local emergency room and call to make sure they were open, while nobody else had reception and a hand was having a heart attack. It doesn't create cell phone signal, but it does boost existing signal. It can turn one bar into one or two bars, or a strong 3g signal into a 4g signal that would typically be out of your reach with just the phones internal antenna. Recently, when I was down on Weyerhaeuser land near the Antlers/Cloudy/Clayton area, I could drive onto the top of a large hill and pick up enough cell reception to call the old lady when needed, and I have zero reception out there without it.

Apparently land/home based booster setups are pretty effective if properly set up, but also pretty pricey, esp if buying the top of the line whole home solution. https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-Inst...al-Installation/dp/B085M7TWJP?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Last edited:

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in the oil business, my booster meant the difference between making a call or not, or having a data connection. At one point in time it meant that I could get the address to the local emergency room and call to make sure they were open, while nobody else had reception and a hand was having a heart attack. It doesn't create cell phone signal, but it does boost existing signal. It can turn one bar into one or two bars, or a strong 3g signal into a 4g signal that would typically be out of your reach with just the phones internal antenna. Recently, when I was down on Weyerhaeuser land near the Antlers/Cloudy/Clayton area, I could drive onto the top of a large hill and pick up enough cell reception to call the old lady when needed, and I have zero reception out there without it.

This is exactly why I bought it, too many times out hunting or shooting somewhere remote that it would have been really nice to have cell coverage.

It shipped out today, so I haven't received it yet so I don't know what questions I have yet :-) I guess the main thing was installation location, if I really am better off mounting it on a bracket that goes around your third light at the top of the cab, if the bed rail mounts are sufficient, etc... and then if there are any tricks to cable routing. A lot of the videos on youtube are mounting to roof racks or mag mounts, neither of those are what I'm going for.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is exactly why I bought it, too many times out hunting or shooting somewhere remote that it would have been really nice to have cell coverage.

It shipped out today, so I haven't received it yet so I don't know what questions I have yet :-) I guess the main thing was installation location, if I really am better off mounting it on a bracket that goes around your third light at the top of the cab, if the bed rail mounts are sufficient, etc... and then if there are any tricks to cable routing. A lot of the videos on youtube are mounting to roof racks or mag mounts, neither of those are what I'm going for.
I'm just down the street if you want to swing by and look at mine/get a hand, or I can swing by the office. I mounted it onto my tool box, but I definitely could have mounted it onto the bed rail. I try to keep it mounted with enough height for the top bulb to be just above the cab for more omnidirectional reception. I ran my cable from the receiving antenna between the bed into the cab through one of the flapper air vents on the back of the cab wall, in the past on other vehicles I have drilled a hole and used a grommet. That just depends on your concerns for water intrusion and drilling permanent holes in the cab. I stuck the amplifier behind the seat where it isn't going to be hit or have things on top of it, it can get hot, so keep that in mind. I ended up sticking the broadcast antenna onto the bottom of my rear seat with the velcro, but optimally I would run it up so somewhere around your center console. plug the 12v power into your outlet of choice and you're good to go. If youre going to keep the truck a while I would just go about cable management as if you were installing a sound system. Zip ties and sticky zip tie bases are generally pretty good, but so is running the cables under carpet, plastic panelling, or even your floor mats. I would definitely check the lights on the amplifier to make sure you don't have issues or any sort of interference, that can be a real pain.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/blog/what-the-blinking-lights-mean-on-a-weboost-signal-booster/

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
thats what that was! I’ve been wondering ever since. Lmao
I actually get that a lot. Back when I worked for Halliburton I had a few paranoid truckers asking me if its my secret antenna for communicating with the government. they were typically the same guys who asked me if Halliburton was still making laser guns and nerve gas for the .gov.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I actually get that a lot. Back when I worked for Halliburton I had a few paranoid truckers asking me if its my secret antenna for communicating with the government. they were typically the same guys who asked me if Halliburton was still making laser guns and nerve gas for the .gov.

you mean they stopped making that stuff? :lookaroun

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a WeBoost for our truck and RV that is moved between those two.
The rig for the truck has a magnetic antenna that mounts on the roof with the coax just running through the door seal, amp on the back floorboard floor plugged into 12 V.
When moved into the RV we use the big antenna receiver mounted on top of the rear ladder.
Inside we have a whole house transmitter so we get coverage throughout.
It’s paid off. One of our favorite spots in Colorado has little to no cell service. With the WeBoost we had good service.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you go cutting holes, look at the grommets already in the firewall where the harnesses go through. My truck's main cab harness grommet next to the steering column had an extra "nipple" for some optional harness that wasn't used, so all I had to do to get the cable for my backup camera into the cab was take my pocketknife to it and push the cable through. If you're really anal about it, you could dab some silicone on it to seal it.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate brain tumors more.
I don't believe it. If RF caused cancer every two way tech in the country would be dead. I spent most of my working life in and around transmitters, more often than not on a roof with 1/4 KW paging transmitters and several 100 watt repeaters all going at the same time. Just turned 75 and so far so good. Not worried about a 3 watt cell phone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom