Installing Suppressor on DD MK18 upper opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It works for me. I have a YHM 556 with the qd mount. The only issue you may have is attaching the QD mount. You will not be able to access the flats on the mount so you have to use the slots in the flash hider or brake to tighten. Be sure to clean and degrease the threads on the barrel and mount well, then use Rocksett (2 drops). The second time I installed a QD flash hider for my can I used a butter knife through the slots to tighten it down. It is solid.

If you are talking about a thread on can, I am almost certain the shoulder of the barrel being behind the rail will prevent you from getting it to fit.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It works for me. I have a YHM 556 with the qd mount. The only issue you may have is attaching the QD mount. You will not be able to access the flats on the mount so you have to use the slots in the flash hider or brake to tighten. Be sure to clean and degrease the threads on the barrel and mount well, then use Rocksett (2 drops). The second time I installed a QD flash hider for my can I used a butter knife through the slots to tighten it down. It is solid.

If you are talking about a thread on can, I am almost certain the shoulder of the barrel being behind the rail will prevent you from getting it to fit.
great to hear. I have the YHM 556 with the qd mount and planning on the DD MK18 and worry about not able to take the flash hider off from the upper and put on the QD mount. Do you mind post some great pictures?.. Thanks for yours tips.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where'd you get the paint job done on that gun. It looks slick, I'd like to do that to my SBR!

Just a few different colors of rustoleum and cut some stencils out of a sheet of paper. Easy peazy, just got to commit to it. first step was to remove the optics,( i wasnt sure if i was going to keep the elcan at the time, so no sense painting it till i was). Degrease the surface with rubbing alcohol or acetone on a rag. Tape off any areas you dont want painted like rail mount points for said optics. Spray a couple of light coats of your lightest selection of contrasting colors, sand in this case. I will say, at this point the gun will look like crap and you will question your decision, just roll with it. The comes the contrast colors. On mine it was olive drab, which i just sprayed on in a random pattern. Then cut out some random pattern stencils on a sheet of paper and sprayed the dark brown. There is a thousand ways to make your camo pattern but the method of spraying stays the same, light coats and allow to dry between each layer. All told if it takes more than an hour to do it with flat spray paint you are probably doing it wrong. I think mine was painted in about 20 minutes.
Now, does it wear off pretty easy? Yeah it kinda does with rustoleum, and its friggen beautiful. If you want it to last longer then spring for a better paint like aerovoe. Of course if you have some need to make it semi permanent then ceracoat may be for you or maybe dura coat.
I think every one should have at least one painted gun just to say they have done it.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Do you have to take the Quadrail guard off when you removed the factory installed flash hider ?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have to take the Quadrail guard off when you removed the factory installed flash hider ?

Negative, there is plenty of room to get at it. I should have mentioned earlier that you should not attempt to remove the rail to install the yhm qd mount as the mount's diameter is larger than the rail opening. The only way to do it without cutting on the rail is to use a tool that goes through the flash hider/break slots or wraps around them like a strap wrench. That may have been evident from the pics i posted, but it bears mentioning in case it wasnt obvious.

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a few different colors of rustoleum and cut some stencils out of a sheet of paper. Easy peazy, just got to commit to it. first step was to remove the optics,( i wasnt sure if i was going to keep the elcan at the time, so no sense painting it till i was). Degrease the surface with rubbing alcohol or acetone on a rag. Tape off any areas you dont want painted like rail mount points for said optics. Spray a couple of light coats of your lightest selection of contrasting colors, sand in this case. I will say, at this point the gun will look like crap and you will question your decision, just roll with it. The comes the contrast colors. On mine it was olive drab, which i just sprayed on in a random pattern. Then cut out some random pattern stencils on a sheet of paper and sprayed the dark brown. There is a thousand ways to make your camo pattern but the method of spraying stays the same, light coats and allow to dry between each layer. All told if it takes more than an hour to do it with flat spray paint you are probably doing it wrong. I think mine was painted in about 20 minutes.
Now, does it wear off pretty easy? Yeah it kinda does with rustoleum, and its friggen beautiful. If you want it to last longer then spring for a better paint like aerovoe. Of course if you have some need to make it semi permanent then ceracoat may be for you or maybe dura coat.
I think every one should have at least one painted gun just to say they have done it.

Thanks! Now I've got to figure out which gun I want to paint!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom