Insuring 16yr old driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, we just added our 16 year old and it only went up about $60 a month with State Farm. Our agent researched which of the 3 cars we have would produce the lowest rate and put him against that vehicle.

I bought my own car/insurance when I was a kid but we're paying for the car and insurance for him.

He's buying his gas. He's a 4.0 student, active in school extra curricular activities, has a job and has taken over a lot of the taxi service for his brother and sister that we used to do. Paying for the car is well worth it in our eyes, just for that alone.

No more sitting in the school parking lot at 2am waiting for the busses to get back from an away game or competition.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All well and good as long as juggling a job and grades don't conflict which is my point. As for your son having a 4.0 (which you didn't mention before) Not every kid gets good grades easily. My kid frequently stays after school to get extra help from teachers to keep her 3.5. Id rather her keep her good grades rather than get a job and her grades suffer
My son only worked weekends so school was not an issue. He found the perfect job though and thats not always the case.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never understood why kids couldn't study AND work, rather why it's one or the other for parents. I did both.... I had to. Life is going to be rough if you think that just getting good grades will get you things. Just sayin.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my four boys were ready for a car, I went with them to look for used car and told them they had to pay for the insurance. In 1980, I think it was around $25 per month liability. I helped them with the car and did the mechanical duties but they had to have something in the game and the insurance fit the bill. I remember hearing that if "one pays for something it means more to them" and that's the school I came from. Kinda like a college education, if it's paid for they don't appreciate it but on the other hand if they are paying for their education they want the most they can get for their money.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not every kid is a book smart genius. For some learning the value of work will serve them better then a grade on a piece of paper.
Never understood why kids couldn't study AND work, rather why it's one or the other for parents. I did both.... I had to. Life is going to be rough if you think that just getting good grades will get you things. Just sayin.
When your kids have to work to get good grades, that's work. Universities are damned competitive these days. If your kid is working and getting C grades, getting into College aint gonna happen. I'm not saying that kids shouldn't work, but if your kid cant work and maintain good grades, well then I guess you have to pick what life lesson you want them to get.

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have used AllState for 20 years and they put our kids on the old dually pickup and had us send in their report cards for a good student discount which helped. Just pray they don't have an at fault accident or you will really have to dig deep to make the payments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom