Insuring 16yr old driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, we are passing around a dose of reality. A work ethic is developed as a result of the child's environment.
The part that you and many others are missing is that the work ethic is not developed at 16. The work ethic is developed over the previous 16 years. Kids that make good grades, are active in school, and have jobs have had great parents teaching them from birth. Making them get a job at 16 does not play into teaching your kid anything. The job may help them learn how to manage their time, which will help the later in life, but I would think they have been managing their time long before 16.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My basic understanding is there are two elements. Liability, which is on the driver and collision/comprehensive which covers the car.

If you don't put your kid on a policy, he has no liability coverage and is an uninsured motorist. If you put him on the policy he has to be listed as a driver of one of the vehicles...

But I'm no agent so...lol

http://www.insurancejournal.com/blogs/academy-journal/2016/07/18/420044.htm

There's a lot of gray area and it depends on which form the Auto policy is written but typically they'll want them listed.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just added our 16yr old son to our car insurance causing it to double!:yikes2:
I knew it was going to be painful but DAMN! We've used Farmers forever but open to changing if it would help. Who do ya'll use? And any advice on the topic would be much appreciated.

Only thing you can do is shop out ALL your insurance. Get quotes from all the carriers.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have State Farm, When I was married and had a stepdaughter they rated her on the oldest vehicle I had. If Farmers is telling they have to rate your kid on all the vehicles Id be switching insurance companies. State Farm has always blown everyone else's rates out of the water for me. Farmers was double for less coverage.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have State Farm, When I was married and had a stepdaughter they rated her on the oldest vehicle I had. If Farmers is telling they have to rate your kid on all the vehicles Id be switching insurance companies. State Farm has always blown everyone else's rates out of the water for me. Farmers was double for less coverage.

Same here. I was scared to death as we got prepared to add the new driver. My wife's friends were seeing monthly increases in the 100's of dollars when they added their kid. I giggled like a school girl when my agent called back with the quote.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The part that you and many others are missing is that the work ethic is not developed at 16. The work ethic is developed over the previous 16 years. Kids that make good grades, are active in school, and have jobs have had great parents teaching them from birth. Making them get a job at 16 does not play into teaching your kid anything. The job may help them learn how to manage their time, which will help the later in life, but I would think they have been managing their time long before 16.

That's exactly what I said. A work ethic is developed as a result of the "child's" environment. That development starts very early in life. When children see you doing something they try to mimic it. You either encourage that or suppress it.

My children are grown now so I thought that part of life was over. 2 1/2 years ago my now 5 1/2 year old granddaughter came to live with me. She's never seen me use a dishwasher even though I have one. We do them in the sink the old fashioned way. She does her share. No riding lawn mower on my 1 acre lot. Takes about 2 1/2 hours and now that she's tall enough she gets her push time in.

Everyday she has chores to do and if I'm working on the trucks, house or fixing stuff she's right there trying to be involved. No iPad, no video games.

Proverbs 22:6

“Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoppinh around helps. Talking face-to-face with the sgent is better.
1. The company will list the 16yo on the most expensive vehicle, unless you tell them. He only drives his vehicle, except on rare occasions.
2. Discount for working. Work show discipline and responsibility, plus time NOT driving around.
3. Discount for grades. Not ALL will get this.

Other than this, you just got to pay.
Check around every year, push your agent; he has a year of experience and no tickets or claims; rate should be better.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Late to the thread yet the whole thing gave me deja vu all over again, a la Yogi Berra. My kids are now both in their 30s so my experience is well behind me but parallels many of the stories here. I was a long-time customer of USAA and they absolutely slammed my wallet. I left them and went with an offer from my credit union for Liberty Mutual Insurance that was much more reasonable. I've occasionally looked back at USAA since the kids left the house and they still want to bend me over. I'm now with the insurance offered through AAA. Shopping vigorously is really the only solution.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just added our 16yr old son to our car insurance causing it to double!:yikes2:
I knew it was going to be painful but DAMN! We've used Farmers forever but open to changing if it would help. Who do ya'll use? And any advice on the topic would be much appreciated.

Shop around. We actually lowered our insurance costs by shopping around with 5 or 6 insurance companies when we added a car and my youngest son a few years ago.
Same coverage, full coverage on all the cars.
Also, you might look into an umbrella policy if you have any assets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom