Inter-service branch rivalry. Worth fighting over????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was told the only thing good in a C-Rat was the P-38!
They were before my time, but dad use to bring me pound cake in a tin when he would come home from a SAR mission, I remember liking it back then. MREs never turned me on as the early ones had all the dehydrated fruit and sausage patties or hamburgers, by the time lasagna and tortellini were coming out I was thinking I was in high heaven with that new chow.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told the only thing good in a C-Rat was the P-38!
They were before my time, but dad use to bring me pound cake in a tin when he would come home from a SAR mission, I remember liking it back then. MREs never turned me on as the early ones had all the dehydrated fruit and sausage patties or hamburgers, by the time lasagna and tortellini were coming out I was thinking I was in high heaven with that new chow.
I've never had an MRE. Wanting to try some. Surely they have improved over the C-rats.
Danged P-38 has to be one of the most useful tools ever invented. You can use it for standard screws, turn it on a corner for phillips screws, clean the fingernails, scrape paint in small areas, AND open your chow.
Fine dining was getting the 1/8" steaks that were dehydrated and had to be put in water for 6 hours or so to grow to 3/8" thick, and ready to cook.
Shoe leather with copious amounts of toe jam would have been more tasty.
Powdered eggs, and powdered spuds were just nasty.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stop with the stupid insults, this is all in good humor, real Marines DO NOT show disrespect to the other services. Real Marine's train for, and if so ordered, kill our country's enemies.
If you say so!

I've known several 'real' Marines that loved to bash the Army in general, and us Army guys in particular. Of course, it was all in fun.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of military chow, I used to occasionally service one of the mountaintop receiver sites in Korea. As everyone knows the AF doesn't have cooks, we had Mess Sergeants who were responsible for managing the dining facilities. They were responsible for managing the supplies, menus and recipes but not for the actual cooking of the food. That was contracted out to civilians.

Anyway, this particular site had only one old Korean man responsible for meals as it was a 6 man site on top of a mountain. Come to find out after my first visit there, he lived onsite with the guys stationed there and was actually a trained chef. On my first visit I went straight to the site and began working on the equipment I was sent there to inspect and repair. After about an hour on-site, I was confronted by this raving lunatic Korean civilian chastising me for not calling ahead to "let him know I would be visiting HIS site." He informed me in no uncertain terms that I and the SGT traveling with me would be eating sandwiches while the permanent staff had lunch because he hadn't prepared for 2 extra people. (On homemade bread of course)

It seems he made a daily trek down the mountain to the little village market to get fresh veggies and local ingredients for the day's meals. He refused to serve anything that wasn't of gourmet quality to "HIS GIs on HIS site." From that point forward I always called and gave Mr. Song a 48 hour notice when I had to make repairs to anything on that site and was always treated to a 5 star meal(s) for as long as I had to be there. If an emergency came up and I had to go there short notice, he was the first person I called and then my wife to let her know I would not be coming home that night. I would also make arrangements with our Mess Sergeant to trade phone services etc for steaks or lobsters to take up the mountain to him whenever possible.

As for work, due to my career field being that of communications, I interfaced and worked with every branch except the Coast Guard. I can tell you that if the civilian IT community would perform half as well as the men and women I worked with in the military, services in every industry would be much better and the push to get everything offshore to save money would virtually disappear.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wish I had some C-rats to trade, but I'm sure they have long lost their expiration date.

Expiration dates don't count. I remember getting C rations in the 60's that still had green Luckies in them. LSMFT. Think they changed to white in the 40's.

What was nasty was ham and lima beans. The peaches and pound cake was a favorite. I still like that combination.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I went in the AF in 1961 I was assigned to a radar site in Las Cruces, New Mexico. When they had steaks, they covered the entire plate and if you wanted a baked potato you either had it on the side or on top of the steak, the same for vegetables. Those were the days when active duty were cooks and there were no contract workers and the KP's were detailed active duty personnel. By the way, back then the women in the AF had to have their picture taken for their personnel folder and a board would meet at Randolph aFB and they'd review the ladies folders and usually the best looking ones would be able to join the AF. Nowadays, some have a backside as broad as an axe handle and aren't planning on losing any weight in the near future. I didn't know they had uniforms that big on some of them...

Latest posts

Top Bottom