Inter-service branch rivalry. Worth fighting over????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since everyone is bringing up old stuff like C-rations, I'll tell this story.

Here at the Ranch in Oregon, we regularly get some guys over to do manual labor that are part of a Christian addiction recovery program. We were doing something in the way of digging in the dirt in a spot that was inconvenient to work a long handled shovel. So, I walked back to our RV and dug out my old U.S. military entrenching tool that is the same design as those in WWII.

When I opened that old-timer, they were really interested. None had probably ever served in any branch, so I had to explain foxholes and entrenching tools.

U S Army Ames Entrenching Tool.jpg

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Here at the Ranch in Oregon, we regularly get some guys over to do manual labor that are part of a Christian addiction recovery program. We were doing something in the way of digging in the dirt in a spot that was inconvenient to work a long handled shovel. So, I walked back to our RV and dug out my old U.S. military entrenching tool that is the same design as those in WWII.

When I opened that old-timer, they were really interested. None had probably ever served in any branch, so I had to explain foxholes and entrenching tools.

View attachment 106658

I have one of those in the toolbox on my truck. It was my uncles.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 106658

Here's mine! I have the pick axe accessory for serious work. Got it in basic when they were issuing gear. Never leaves my truck. One of the greatest tools ever invented. You can see mine gets a regular work out.

6d6d123e795e3813f4debbb062627b53.jpg

1566d40de5f5e615e55810994a3b01a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Expiration dates don't count. I remember getting C rations in the 60's that still had green Luckies in them. LSMFT. Think they changed to white in the 40's.

What was nasty was ham and lima beans. The peaches and pound cake was a favorite. I still like that combination.
When your cold, wet, and hungry . . . they're all good! I tended to be partial to the 'John Wayne bars' myself :spaghetti:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I went in the AF in 1961 I was assigned to a radar site in Las Cruces, New Mexico. When they had steaks, they covered the entire plate and if you wanted a baked potato you either had it on the side or on top of the steak, the same for vegetables. Those were the days when active duty were cooks and there were no contract workers and the KP's were detailed active duty personnel. By the way, back then the women in the AF had to have their picture taken for their personnel folder and a board would meet at Randolph aFB and they'd review the ladies folders and usually the best looking ones would be able to join the AF. Nowadays, some have a backside as broad as an axe handle and aren't planning on losing any weight in the near future. I didn't know they had uniforms that big on some of them...
Though my daughter was fairly petit I still use to rib her when she came home on leave from the Marine Corps by calling her [the then often used] BAM, which stood for Broad or Bad Azz Marine (take your pick).

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 106658
Now that brings back some . . . ah, memories :drunk5:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all are bringing back memories. I can remember C-rats, MCI's and MRE's. When I went through a tech school we spent about a week in the field. We were fed C-rats and told check each bite before eating. Seems that some of the meals (even though the cans were sealed) had worms in them.

When our instructor told us about it a SSGT sitting next to me said "yeah, right", opened his can thinking the instructor was messing with us and scooped a spoonful of food out of the can with worms peeking out of it.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had MRE's and C Rations and I'll take the C-Rats any day over the MRE's. C-Rats you can carry in your backpack and drop them in boiling water and viola! A meal fit for the kings!

Latest posts

Top Bottom