Interest Rates Are Still Low...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really surprised mortgage rates haven't started going up. I started talking to my lender last week about a VA loan and he quoted a rate of between 2.6% and 2.75%.

He sent me a text today and said he locked in our rate at 2.247% for a 30 year VA loan.

Maybe it's just me...but I thought that was pretty amazing considering the direction of the economy right now.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
It just needs to stay that way a few more weeks. I have a house to sell once I get this last bit of crap pulled out and they yard spruced up.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2.247% on a 30 year note is amazing! My house is almost paid off, but I'm considering a refi to play around with some extra cash if I can get it at 2.25% or near.

Low rates are great at stimulating our economy coming out of the pandemic, but they cant last forever. The Fed is afraid of starting a recession by raising rates, but it needs to if inflation continues to rise.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Bought last year and got a 3.0% fixed for 15 years. This was right before interest rates started getting into the 2%-3% range.

I thought about selling and buying another house to take advantage of an even lower interest rate but my luck the interest rates will skyrocket and I already have a low interest rate.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought last year and got a 3.0% fixed for 15 years. This was right before interest rates started getting into the 2%-3% range.

I thought about selling and buying another house to take advantage of an even lower interest rate but my luck the interest rates will skyrocket and I already have a low interest rate.
The difference between 3% and 2.5% on a $200k loan at 15 years is $8k. Hardly worth the hassle, hit on your credit, and money up front to take care of everything.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I refinanced my home with rocket mortgage with a conventional loan last year around this time and my rate is 2.9%. It was 3.5% before with loan depot. I have to do a 30 year though as I don’t have the funds to afford the 15. I also switched my homeowners insurance to State Farm from Safeco. My payment has went down about $400 a month! My payment is $1189 now! There are some rent homes out here in between Shawnee and Earlsboro that are $1000-$1300! I can’t imagine throwing that kind of money down the toilet. Rental properties in Oklahoma are ridiculous. I see dumps all around that are $700+ a month. I wish I could have gotten a bunch of rental properties.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Refinancing for a slight interest decrease might make sense in some scenarios. A VA IRRRL loan, for example. No funding fee, no appraisal, no credit check, etc... They can be very cheap. But generally it doesn't really pay off if you have to pay a lot of closing costs and other fees. Not for a long time, anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom