Interesting Drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been on both. 1st week in July 09, Highway to Sun road had only been open a week and still had lots of snow. Wife told me straight up she'd divorce me if I ever tried to take her to Ouray again.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rode it a week before they closed it for winter a few years back. Not many cars or busses out that day so I could wind it up a bit. Back and forth all day while the girlfriend was hiking. I liked Beartooth Pass better and several roads in Colorado. For just fun twisty roads you can crank it up a bit there are some fun roads in NW Arkansas. A lot of people like Hwy 23 but one lesser known is Hwy 123. Stay at the Hub which used to be Dogpatch USA. About 3 or 4 great roads connect nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We did the Mount Evans Highway in Colorado three years ago. Wife was terrified on most of it as we were in a full sized pickup and the road is not designed for passing two full sized vehicles.
No guard rails, just a 3000’ drop if you get too close to the edge.
I can’t believe they allow that road

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was on the Going to the Sun Road about 3 summers ago. Its a beautiful drive and Glacier is an amazing Park. I liked it much better than Yellowstone. Mostly because the crowds were much less at GNP. in the next 3-4 years we'll do YNP in Late Sept when crowds lighten up. And for Terry, KOA in West Glacier is supposed to be THE best KOA in the country and one of the prettiest RV Parks in the country. Make reservations well in advance.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We did the Mount Evans Highway in Colorado three years ago. Wife was terrified on most of it as we were in a full sized pickup and the road is not designed for passing two full sized vehicles.
No guard rails, just a 3000’ drop if you get too close to the edge.
I can’t believe they allow that road

Rode to the top in falling snow. I think my grip imprints are still in my hands. I can say I did it but not what I would call a fun ride, especially coming down in the outside lane. Pike’s Peak road was a lot more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Living 50 miles from Glacier Park I have been over Going to the Sun a number of times.

Went out to Washington State for training one October and Going to the Sun was the short cut to get back home. It was snowing a bit so we stopped at the entrance gate and asked if the Road was still open, "Sure no problem" Said the Ranger.

We got up to the last turnaround and met a couple of more Rangers. They stopped us and told us we would be the last vehicle over for the season and we had one hour to go over, no stopping. If we didn't make it in a hour they would start looking for us. I was driving and looked at my partner, wondering what that was about. As I drove away I looked in my mirror and saw the Rangers closing the snow gate behind us. Let me tell you going down the east side Of Going to the Sun at under 15 miles and hour, white knuckling the steering so tight it left dents, and still sliding even when stopped, on that road in snow and ice will pucker you so tight that you taste seat cushion.

When we got home we heard the two Rangers who closed the gate behind us had wrecked out and the snow rescue team had to get them out. Both were seriously injured.

I have only been over Going to the Son twice since. Once for my badass former Anti Terror Team Member friend from South Africa and once with my new Okie wife who asked to go. we did the trip eastbound, always the best direction so the driver can focus on the centerline and your passenger get the best view. Both my badass friend and my new wife used unkind words directed at me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom