Interesting History on My Property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to talk a bit with one of the drivers, a 40-something guy, that delivered gravel to my place yesterday...nice guy who grew up right around here.

He asked me the usual questions...how long have you lived here, etc... He pointed to a corner of the pasture and said he was just a young kid when he fell in the creek right by that corner of the fence and landed on piece of glass. He had a massive scar on his wrist and said he almost bled to death before he got help. He talked about riding bikes with his friends, later dirt bikes, all over the property and camping in the woods behind the house.

Then he walked a few feet to a particular spot in the driveway and said he got into the worst fight of his life right on that spot when he was 18. He said he was fond of a lady that used to live in the old house that was on the place (bulldozed about 6 years ago...long before we got here). He'd been over to her place "visiting" when the older brother of the guy who owns the property that borders us on the north happened to stop by. Seems he wanted to "visit" as well since this lady was his girlfriend. The two of 'em started fighting and the second guy eventually pulled a big knife and stabbed by truck driver in the abdomen. My driver walked over to his truck and got an old, beat up revolver and took a shot at the neighbor's brother, but missed. He only had one round in the revolver...all the others had been fired and he didn't have any more ammo. He said that probably kept him out of prison.

Then he said he didn't know why he had such happy memories of the place because everything here had tried to kill him over the years.

Kinda makes me wonder what else has happened in the past at other places where I've lived.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live on a dead-end street with just a few neighbors; at the top of the street lives a woman in her 90s, who moved into her current house in the 1950s. She told me that at the time, her house was basically at the end of a long driveway, shared with one other house, and the rest of the land along the driveway, including my property, was once a huge soybean field. She used to ride her horses with her daughter across where my house is now, and her son would hunt from a tree stand somewhere between my backyard and the property belonging to the house behind mine. In the 1960s, a single-engined plane lost power and came down over her house into the field where my property and those of the two next door neighbors now stand. The pilot came to her house to use the phone, and eventually a flatbed truck hauled off the plane. She couldn’t recall, but she thought the plane had come to a rest in what is now my front yard. Her mind is going now, unfortunately, but she used to have quite a few stories!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get mail addressed to the previous owner of my property.

Not BS'ing either.
I still do and she's been dead for 10 years.

My farm was about 2 miles from the middle of the Chisolm Trail. I could still see the wagon ruts every time I passed the area dad pointed out to me when I was a kid. I got permission to metal detect the area but didn't find anything but pieces of harness buckles and such. It seems cowboys were a poor lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom