Interesting interaction at the Atwoods gun counter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
on form 4473 question 21.a asks if you are purchasing the gun for someone else. If you are, Atwoods can't sell/transfer it to you. I cannot find anywhere where it says unless the purchase is for your child.

It is assumed that if a parent if buying for a child it is OK but I can't find anywhere in the law that states this.
Same thing happens at Academy. I have seen mom and dad talking about how much junior will like this gun and the clerk says is this gun for you or your son, they say son, he says i cannot sell it to you.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
on form 4473 question 21.a asks if you are purchasing the gun for someone else. If you are, Atwoods can't sell/transfer it to you. I cannot find anywhere where it says unless the purchase is for your child.

It is assumed that if a parent if buying for a child it is OK but I can't find anywhere in the law that states this.
Same thing happens at Academy. I have seen mom and dad talking about how much junior will like this gun and the clerk says is this gun for you or your son, they say son, he says i cannot sell it to you.

“yes gun counter clerk. This pink cricket .22 rifle is most definitely for me. Not my daughter”

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“yes gun counter clerk. This pink cricket .22 rifle is most definitely for me. Not my daughter”
I've said a couple times in my life "yeah it's "for him" (and I use air quotes), but I'm the legal owner until he comes of age." And that's always been accepted without question

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I worked at Walmart, I had no problems with selling a firearm to a parent for their children. IIRC, Walmart training at the time differentiated from a parental purchase for a gift and a straw purchase. I can't remember if it covered all gift purchases or only parent/child ones. I also can't vouch for the present policy.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was in Bartlesville. The guy was nice about it, I didn't take it personal.
If I’m not mistaken, Okla law requires 16 yoa for shotgun possession….straw law means buying and passing to someone unable to legally purchase / buy.
Oklahoma is very lenient about our youth having and useing firearms, but doesn’t change the fact that under sixteen can’t purchase / possess shotguns.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude - if you are looking for LOP here is your answer - Franchi, Affinity 3 Compact AX5 20ga...12-1/2 LOP and expandable. Sports World Tulsa. Stop playing with the wanna-be's

Shottyshooter90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Academy in Midwest City treated us the same way when we purchased a Ruger Wrangler for the boy. After I handled it the wife said ok lets get it and gave them her license. They allowed the sale, but I bet we were lectured 3 or 4 different ways about how its illegal to buy a firearm for someone who is a felon after we told them repeatedly it was for a 10 year olds christmas. Really left a bad taste in our mouth but being the procrastinates that we are no one had them in stock right before christmas at the price academy did. I left a review on google to warn others and hope it has touched a few.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every firearm I purchase is for my personal use. Tiny pink guns and youth model shotguns included.

If I decide to gift said firearm at a later date, or resell it to a citizen who is not legally prohibited from possessing said firearm, that's a whole 'nother transaction and need not be brought up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom