Internal or External Ejector on 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sig and S&W really have EEs down and inherently it's a more reliable design. Nothing wrong with the IEs either. So it doesn't matter if you go with either of them now. Although previously, Kimber tried the EE route, had 4 redesigns and then went back to internal. S&W had an initial poor design that sat too high on the rim and then redesigned it with the E-series extractor.

Hard to go wrong with either EE or IE so long as you don't buy one of the older S&Ws or Kimbers, the new models work great.

Last edited:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a couple of each type, and they seem to be equally reliable. The EE doesn't bother me looks-wise, and the giant one on my E-Series Smith looks like it will survive the Apocalypse.

I will say, I've never heard of anyone needing to "tune" and external extractor though. Plus, JMB himself put one on the Hi Power.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if I'm making this up or am recalling correctly (for Hi Powers, total tangent).
Original design had external extractor, but the contract required an internal one so thats what they made from the 30s to 60s, at which point they went to the external extractor as originally designed.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if I'm making this up or am recalling correctly (for Hi Powers, total tangent).
Original design had external extractor, but the contract required an internal one so thats what they made from the 30s to 60s, at which point they went to the external extractor as originally designed.

This is my understanding as well.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a couple of each type, and they seem to be equally reliable. The EE doesn't bother me looks-wise, and the giant one on my E-Series Smith looks like it will survive the Apocalypse.

I will say, I've never heard of anyone needing to "tune" and external extractor though. Plus, JMB himself put one on the Hi Power.

Yeah so those E-series ones..... looks like it's near impossible for that thing to miss the rim.

Latest posts

Top Bottom