Internet change but may have messed up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After my Router died was looking at routers for my network/internet connection through Atlas wireless. Out in the sticks where internet providers are far and few. Once in a while I will use my ATT phone as a hot spot as Atlas isn't the most reliable provider in the world.

Just for grins I ran a speed test comparison between Atlas and my phone. Wow what a difference. Atlas down was 3.17 and ATT was 41.6. This started me thinking of switching to an ATT hot spot and ditching Atlas. After the smoke cleared I got an unlimited plan from ATT added to my phone bill for 10 bucks more than I have been paying Atlas.

The mess up (I think) was ordering an AT&T Unite Express 2 while working with ATT because I didn't really know what I would need. I have a mixed wired and wireless network right now all tied into an 8 port wired router. Thinking I could just ad a switch to the Unite but just discovered it doesn't have a RJ port. It has a USB port and saw an adapter on Amazon but... It looks like the Unite is really designed to be used as a portable hot spot and not sure it is what I really need.

Asking those that might know, should I get the adapter and go with the Unite or return it and get something else to connect to ATT with?

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have previously used this device and it has an ethernet port.

https://www.att.com/buy/connected-d...e-mobile-hotspot-router-512gb-steel-gray.html

Otherwise you will probably have to use a wifi extender to get the switch connected to the mifi device.

@MacFromOK

It normally depends on how many devices you have stacked on an account. First device or two is most expensive then they get much cheaper as the account gets stickier IE more crap to move if you decide to leave.

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans/

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@MacFromOK

It normally depends on how many devices you have stacked on an account. First device or two is most expensive then they get much cheaper as the account gets stickier IE more crap to move if you decide to leave.

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans/
Thanks. :)

However, this is the part that worries me: "Limited availability. May not be available in your area."

We don't even have DSL here. :/

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do realize their “unlimited “ plan throttles your speed once you hit your data allowance right? It will be so slow you won’t be able to do squat with it.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mac are there any towers close to your location? You can use this http://www.antennasearch.com/ its a couple step process but it can locate towers in your area. Then give you the owner. You have about 50% chance of seeing the owners name vs the companies that own towers. If you want you can PM me your address and I can try and see who is in your area.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mac are there any towers close to your location? You can use this http://www.antennasearch.com/ its a couple step process but it can locate towers in your area. Then give you the owner. You have about 50% chance of seeing the owners name vs the companies that own towers. If you want you can PM me your address and I can try and see who is in your area.
Seems to be hung up with the meshing gears going nuts. Gimme a minute and I'll PM ya.

Sorry for the thread derail. :drunk2:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For all my remote sites I use a dongle like $50(got a sim from att) and small router from amazon that is like $25

the biggest problem is that 4g dongles are kinda like hens teeth and the 3g ones are slow

I might have a spare setup at the office if you want to give it a try b4 you spend any money

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have a couple options. There are adapters that will put out an RJ45 that you can plug in and install a sim card or you can get a wireless device like this https://amzn.to/2RQc5KC and for 15 bucks you can use it to make a link from the wired to the wireless.

The disadvantage is as was already stated, unlimited using a cell plan isn't quite so unlimited when they throttle you. A day of binge watching Netflix and the rest of the month is going to be limited to dial up speeds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

However, this is the part that worries me: "Limited availability. May not be available in your area."

We don't even have DSL here. :/
Find someone with an AT&T plan and have them come to your home and see what the service is. You may be surprised.
Friend had some local internet service that was just above dial up and he would get my text two days later if ever. He just found out that AT&T added him to their service area. He is happy, happy.
We use AT&T across the country in our RV travels with zero issues except for one place in the mountains where zero internet/phone is available.
Installed a We-Boost in the RV and we can stream video's in the same location where nothing was available. It's only a booster, and sometimes it's not perfect, but it's there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom