Introducing kids to firearms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my nephew is 7. He’s kind of a timid kid, but smart and loves nature and the outdoors. He hears me/people talking to me about hunting and stuff. Recently he has started regularly bringing up the idea that one day he wants to go hunting with me. He loves the idea of going out, hanging out in nature, and hanging out with my pup. Pretty much the things I love about it too. I see a big hurdle with it all though, nobody else in the family is into firearms or hunting. His grandpa (my father in law) started fishing mostly because his grandkids wanted to learn. Then I came along and helped with that. I got my wife (his aunt) and my sister in law into shooting and getting their CCWs. But his dad is not necessarily anti gun, he’s just not a fan of guns. Grew up in Juarez and dealt with a lot of crime and killing as a kid, lots of cartel stuff. I can’t say I blame him.

So with this all in mind, at what age did you get your kids/relatives kids out hunting? What did you hunt? How do those conversations go with your relatives? What kind of guns did you have those kids use when starting out?

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red Ryder BB gun to learn safety, sight picture, in home range built from cardboard box and a blanket. My daughters and their kids all started this way as did I. Many winter evenings we would shoot the Red Ryder and a Sheridan 5mm air rifle in our basement or bedroom hallway.
After they show safety understanding and are listening to instruction well, they learned .22LR with a Ruger 10/22
Pistol training for my daughters started with a Crossman and before long they were shooting .22 from a Ruger Single Six and 38 spec then 45 Colt from Ruger Blackhawks
now oldest daughter has her own Glock 26 and youngest daughter likes her shotgun.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was started with a pellet rifle when I was 6 or so after I demonstrated knowledge of the rules of firearms safety. After a while with that (7) I was able to demonstrate proficency and moved up to a .22lr rifle. Shortly thereafter I was taught pistols. Was shooting whatever my dad brought with us to the range by 9 or so.

Overall it depends on the kid. They're just little people after all. I know some grown men I wouldn't trust to hold a gun in my presence, and I've seen some young kids safely and effectively executing dynamic courses of fire with movement.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each kid is different i have seen some i wouldnt be afraid to teach at age 3 and then others i wouldnt touch if they was 103. but like said start with a BB or a pellet gun that will shot both BB and pellets and make sure they will follow directions and listen to you before moving on to something else and start small and work your way up.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father always said if you are going to teach a kid to shoot, don't turn it into a mystery. If a kid is interested, they are going to be curious, so he always took the time to answer, show and explain all gun related things whenever I asked about them. I wasn't ever sneaking into my parents closet to root around, because I knew what was there and what it was for, as well as how it worked. However, I had friends who did root around and didn't know much about guns, mainly because their parents wouldn't teach them for any multitude of reasons.

Basically, normalize safe shooting and firearms handling. A curious kid and parents that turn guns into a mystery is a dangerous combination.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My daughter and son started going with me running traps at about age 3 or 4. Deer and turkey at ages 7 and 8, shooting a 20g and a crossbow. My two cousins were early teens before they showed any interest and both have killed some nice deer, but only when I took them. They're in their upper lower and upper 30's now and haven't hunted ever, unless I take them lol. Taken lots of kids in the 11 to 13 yo range.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Granddaughter at 8. That is one of her many Guns she owns. She was shooting a semi 22 for a long time under the strictest condition. If you have permission, get the boy caught up. Start him easy, on a bolt action 22. You can snatch it easy. Teach him safety and respect for them. Then go on up the chain if he wants to.

EFE2ED13-D9A6-4F4B-BCB9-AFB2138B5B88.jpeg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I was introduced to guns very early. Shooting rabbits and stuff at like 5 years old with an old Winchester single shot .22lr. This was being totally alone though, no adult supervision.

Didn’t deer hunt till 10years old.

I plan on introducing my son to guns when he’s 5 but not absolutely alone with them lol. kids nowadays are kinda different. Maybe my parents just didn’t care about me or I was very mature. 🤣

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started mine by showing them what they can do. 12g 3" slug and a pumpkin at 20 ft.
It wasn't a "This is what happens moment" It was a "Hey! Watch this!" moment.
They got the hint real fast without the negativity of being "scolded" about it.

Raised them on BB-guns and the rules of firearms. The key is to satisfy the curiosity in a way that they also learn safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom