Iowa mayonnaise murder was "just another bar fight"...."until it wasn't any longer"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bottom Line: The dead man's brother testified "it was just another bar fight in Harrison County." The judge added "until it wasn't any longer."
The defendant waived a jury trial, found guilty of 1st degree murder at bench trial; he received a life sentence this week.

IANAL but according to the judge's findings and conclusions (they're quoted in newspaper article link below):

In December 2020 some guys in Iowa were out drinking.
Kristofer Erlbacher (a.k.a. the defendant) "for some reason" put mayonnaise on food ordered by Caleb Solberg (now known as the dearly departed).
Solberg didn't like it and punched Erlbacher.
Erlbacher and a friend left, went to another bar in different town and continued drinking.
The defendant Erlbacher called Solberg's brother, Craig Pryor, and threatened to burn down Solberg's house and kill him with a shotgun as he came out.
Both brothers went to the second bar where Solberg got in a fight in the parking lot with Erlbacher's friend.
Fight ended "on its own" and brother Craig Pryor left.
Erlbacher came out, got in his pickup and hit Solberg, who was still alive at that point and heard screaming for his brother.
Erlbacher drove off, turned around and came back. He ran over Solberg and hit a parked SUV before he ran "up and over" Solberg one last time.
Erlbacher left in his pickup, which was leaking transmission fluid and later broke down.
Erlbacher called the brother and admitted killing Solberg, saying "...we won’t have to worry about his mouth anymore. I would have got you too, but I kind of like your kids."
Suspect called his father for a ride back to the bar; after being read his rights he "denied striking and killing Solberg."

https://loganwoodbine.com/news/verd...cle_7df24ce8-59f4-11ec-ad0b-0fe486f4c516.htmlhttps://loganwoodbine.com/news/erlb...cle_fd23a7b4-8393-11ec-a7d5-ebc7536b7cf2.html

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I've avoided bars for all my many years. Closest I ever came to one was in the NCO club while stationed out in California. Small base, thus small amount of patrons in the club.

Oh, and I was there after getting word from the wife that she was pregnant. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have been there.

But, he has turned out to be a pretty good kid.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I've avoided bars for all my many years. Closest I ever came to one was in the NCO club while stationed out in California. Small base, thus small amount of patrons in the club.

Oh, and I was there after getting word from the wife that she was pregnant. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have been there.

But, he has turned out to be a pretty good kid.
It does seem like in a bunch of drinkers there's always somebody who gets carried away with the stupid juice.
I'm always curious when the defendant waives the right to a jury trial and lets a judge decide the verdict.
I have nothing but Internet speculation in this case though.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually like these stories. Dead guy actually drove to the scene to start a fight where he was killed. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Two pieces of trash; 1 dead and 1 in prison. Society is better for this.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 1980s I worked out on NE 23rd St in OKC. There was a bar out there called The Players Club.

One day, 2 guys at the Club got in a fight. Guy 1 got the poo beat out of him, drove home to fetch his 45, drove back the the Club and emptied it into guy 2.

Killed him dead.

At the trial, Guy 1 tries to claim self defense. That didn't fly, mostly because the whole '... drove home and fetched his 45, drove back...' thing.

Guy 1 was convicted of Murder 1.

Play stupid games...

Latest posts

Top Bottom