IPSC/USPSA first timer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least 300 and more is better since they may have you shoot steel as a classifier which will take some more rounds. Make sure you have enough mags as well, depends on the stage how many you will need but I would take no less than 60 rounds on a stage. Some of the spinning targets can be the bane of your existence when you don't have enough rounds plus if a mag starts acting up you can drop it and move on not jack with it for thirty seconds trying to force it to work. Having a few spare mags and a couple parts in reserve is always a good idea as well so you can fix some issues that may creep up.

A match is a time where if it can fail it probably will at some point, it's kind of a Murphy's Law type of thing. Otherwise good luck and have fun, take a deep breath and take it slow and steady, oh and don't break the 180.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What match? OKCGC? If so you are in for a treat. It's one of the best club matches in the country I suspect. I can say it rivals some level II matches I've been to almost any month.

Edit: I forgot, but Nightshade covered the round count. 300 should be plenty and you'll go home with some. I take 300. Don't let him spook you the steel isn't as hard as he makes it sound.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you get your feet wet at the OKCGC, get right back into it by coming to the Ponca City Rifle and Gun club. Our match is the next weekend. Practice makes perfect! :D

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Edit: I forgot, but Nightshade covered the round count. 300 should be plenty and you'll go home with some. I take 300. Don't let him spook you the steel isn't as hard as he makes it sound.

Nahh the steel is pretty easy but if I remember it's like ten plates and you shoot two handed one run, strong hand only one run and off hand only one run. Throw in a few misses (especially offhand) and you have 40 rounds down. Tis better to go home with some extra than be standing around hoping that you can finish.

And I agree practice makes perfect, the more you can run the better. Grab a .22LR and do some steel challenge as well, generally no movement and a lot of fun plus cheap to shoot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks for the tips and guidance.
I am looking forward to it!! It's been on my to-start list for over a year.
In reality, your not going to win, nor even come close to it as you first start.
Make a mental note of your times to draw, figure out a stage, assess your mistakes, and then look at yourself a year later after doing this for awhile. You will be totally amazed at how well you can run your gun, clear malfunctions under pressure, (timer pressure), and make your times fall by half or better.
Its a game. Go out with the attitude your there to enjoy the game. Don't try to shoot fast at first. Take the time you need to shoot accurate. I've seen some guys fast on the trigger that get beat by a slower guy that is accurate. With experience, your speed will increase.
LISTEN to the fast guys as they discuss how they will shoot the stage. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and as a new shooter you will be put at the bottom of the shooting order so you have plenty of time to watch those in front of you shoot the stage. If your not put there, ask to be. Nobody will object. We were all new shooters at one time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huntersworld what kind of equipment are you going to be running? If possible I would advise you to shoot limited division. With most any high cap pistol (Glock, M&P, etc.) you can finish any stage with a single reload. This lets you focus on hitting your targets and safety instead of planning several reloads that you'll have to do in most other divisions. It's the "easiest" division to get started in IMO.

Have fun. Maybe we'll meet if I make it out. New grand daughter is being born in the morning, so I dunno if I'll make this one,. But I might!

Latest posts

Top Bottom