IPSC/USPSA first timer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Certainly a reason to celebrate! Wish her a warm welcome into this world.

Ill be running a stock Glock 40. Only think I've changed are the sights. Probably will shoot 10mm but might go with .40 cause I just hate leaving my 10 brass behind. Or do you think I should shoot my EDC? It's a G29. I am tempted to use it cause if I'm ever in a "need to shoot" situation, ill probably be using it. But the increased sight radius of the G40 sure would make things easier and faster.

I think any stage and division will be challenging. I can't wait to get into that mindset. I may need to shoot a bit on Friday to get the jitters out.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am I understanding right? You can shoot .40SW in your 10mm G40? If so, by all means shoot that G40! You are right about the sight radius plus you get more capacity, you can play with your EDC later. Besides you really don't want to drop 230 rounds of 10mm brass, you'll be able to get a little of it back, but not even close to all of it. Now .40 brass you can fill a bucket with after the match is over. That many 10mm rounds is going to make it a really long day too! My hands hurt just thinking about that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is some more: If by chance you DQ(disqualification) by breaking the 180 or an unsafe act, You will not be allowed to finish the rest of the match, take it as a learning experience to not be repeated. You cannot shoot the rest of the match after a DQ, but you will win respect from your squad members by staying around and helping to tape paper and reset steel for the rest of the match. Some get mad and leave mid match, but don't be that person. Its all about the safety of those around you and yourself. There is not a shooter out there that I know of that hasn't been DQ'd Took me 10 years, but it happened.
Here is another tidbit to endear yourself to your fellow shooters on your squad......be the first person out there to reset steel and paste targets.
Don't be that person that sits behind the line and does nothing.
If I'm the RO(range safety officer) on that stage and your not participating, I'm going to ask you to step up and help.,

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And don't forget to come early to help set up or stay late to help tear down. Showing up to shoot and then leave while everyone else does all the setup is another crappy move, plus it gives you time to look over the stages when setting up and you need to do less walkthroughs right before shooting which saves time and lets everyone get going.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I understanding right? You can shoot .40SW in your 10mm G40? If so, by all means shoot that G40! You are right about the sight radius plus you get more capacity, you can play with your EDC later. Besides you really don't want to drop 230 rounds of 10mm brass, you'll be able to get a little of it back, but not even close to all of it. Now .40 brass you can fill a bucket with after the match is over. That many 10mm rounds is going to make it a really long day too! My hands hurt just thinking about that.
Yup 10-4

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I might not have realized that my help was needed or even allowed.

All the stuff is pretty much volunteer. You can help set up, tear down, fix targets during the match, help score, possibly act as the R.O. during the match and run the timer. It's a little daunting at first but all you have to do is say "Hey I don't understand this." And someone will help you out or find someone who can.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tri City has their Practical Pistol Match this Sunday morning. Sign up at 8 am, lead throwing at 9. $10. The only monthly open to the public draw and shoot practice venues I know of.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom