IPSC/USPSA - Need some info..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie1

Marksman
Reaction score
Everyone,

I am interested in starting to shoot IPSC and would like some info.

I have a 1911 style pistol to shoot, so I am guessing single stack would be the place to start. While looking at a different web site, I found the following "description" of the class....

Single Stack: Traditional 5in 1911's. Non-race holsters. Standard length magazines (gun and mags must fit into "the box"). Minor power factor guns are allowed up to 10 rounds in the magazines (if it still fits the box). Major power factor guns are limited to 8 rounds in their mags

First question I have - what constitutes a race vs a non-race holster? I have seen some of what I would consider open class holsters where the gun can be lifted about 1 inch, then moved forward (up toward the target), and I supposed that would be considered a race holster. But I have also seen holsters that look like a typical carry holster, but have the "front" of the holster cut away to allow for a faster draw.

So I guess what I am asking is "how do you define a race holster?"

Thanks

Odie1

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Keep in mind in SS the holster must keep the entire front strap above the top of the belt (SS is the only division that has this holster requirement). So don't buy a bladetech DOH attachment, likely no one will notice or care past a friendly reminder at a local match, but you'll get dinged at a major.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind in SS the holster must keep the entire front strap above the top of the belt (SS is the only division that has this holster requirement). So don't buy a bladetech DOH attachment, likely no one will notice or care past a friendly reminder at a local match, but you'll get dinged at a major.

Why does SS have the gehey rule anyways?

odie1

Marksman
Reaction score
Everyone,

Thanks for the info.... now at the risk of exposing myself for the true idiot I am...

........Keep in mind in SS the holster must keep the entire front strap above the top of the belt........

Front strap? 'splain please...

I know of top straps on revolvers.... back straps when processing deer... and the strap dad used when I was little (and usually needed), but front strap?

Odie1

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
Everyone,

Thanks for the info.... now at the risk of exposing myself for the true idiot I am...

........Keep in mind in SS the holster must keep the entire front strap above the top of the belt........

Front strap? 'splain please...

I know of top straps on revolvers.... back straps when processing deer... and the strap dad used when I was little (and usually needed), but front strap?

Odie1

That's the front part of the grip frame where your fingers wrap around. The backstrap is the back of the frame where your palm goes.

You sound like me when I first bought my first pistol two years ago. I could celan them for liek 6 months becaseu I couldn;t get hem apart. Now I dominate competitons after guys like chambers nd techum99 showed me the ropes.

odie1

Marksman
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Never heard it called that.... I must not have been listening very hard.

I have actually completely dis and re -assembled my 45s... main spring, hammer, trigger, and usually do at least once a year for a good scrubbing. And they have actually all worked once re-assembled!

I asked the original question because, probably like a dummy, I have been reading about some of the draw and fire times, and I can get NOWHERE close...now, I realize I am nowhere near a pro, but I have practiced and shot...alot.... but with the holster I have.. no -front cut, conceled carry type holster, I can only consistantly stay in the 1.5 second range, with the occasional drop into the 1.30s.... and yep - I have a timer...

It seems when I draw, I feel as though I have to pull the gun nearly into my armpit to get it to clear the holster.. and since it CANT BE ME(sarcasm) thats slow, has to be something else.... right? :)

Was just wondering about the different holster types... You guys have given me lots of good info to go by... may do some shopping next couple of days.

Thanks again!!

Odie1

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sound like me when I first bought my first pistol two years ago. I could celan them for liek 6 months becaseu I couldn;t get hem apart. Now I dominate competitons after guys like chambers nd techum99 showed me the ropes.

but you still don't clean them

Latest posts

Top Bottom