Iranian Ship Sinks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just as an aside comment, some folks here really need to get to know TK before those folks start posting what they believe about him. Personally, I've never met him, but I do know enough that he and his comments should be respected.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just as an aside comment, some folks here really need to get to know TK before those folks start posting what they believe about him. Personally, I've never met him, but I do know enough that he and his comments should be respected.

Thanks Terry.

It bothers me not what someone calls me. Knee-jerk reactions to Iran, Afghanis, etc...are simply a pet peeve of mine. Some folks just can't see the situation from another man's point of view, and that's just how it is. Trying to understand how we got where we are is a tall, uncomfortable order for a lot of people.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TK made the claim & you were defending his viewpoint. I was replying to both of you. Or maybe I was just speaking rhetorically.

Understood. My main points were towards the knee-jerk reaction to call someone a Lib or Islamic sympathizer simply for having a more nuanced opinion on a very complex subject.

People who resort to that tactic are usually lacking information or the ability to process said information, which makes productive discourse impossible

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think I called anyone a lib or Iran sympathizer. I just responded to the moral equivalence discussion. So, is it safe to assume that neither of you believe the 2 countries are morally equivalent?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t think I called anyone a lib or Iran sympathizer. I just responded to the moral equivalence discussion. So, is it safe to assume that neither of you believe the 2 countries are morally equivalent?

Ah...

...now you are getting into the realm of deciding whose morals to judge by. In either case, I suspect that a citizen of either country might say that the other country was Satan's minion.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah...

...now you are getting into the realm of deciding whose morals to judge by. In either case, I suspect that a citizen of either country might say that the other country was Satan's minion.

Just asking for a personal opinion. I don’t think there is an moral equivalence between US & Iran. Do you ?
What about Nazi Germany, N Korea, Cuba, or any other oppressive regime? Simple yes or no question.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

No sir. I most certainly did.

I guess when Teddy or his partner SMS take the same position of the hard-line Islamists and liberals such as Senator Ted Kennedy (who is going on 12 years sober this August) that the Shah was (gasp) bad and then blame the US for “propping” him up only for the oil ... connecting the dots is not all that “nuanced”.

I do hope they reply that there is no more equivalency between the Iran and the USA. But something tells me they might just agree with Iran on Israel.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of your question.

If my neighbor is a drunken lazy reprobate, does that justify me dealing with him dishonestly?

Our founders did not view monarchies and lesser states as "equals", yet advocated for fair and equitable dealing with all. That is a great rule of thumb for a man, and a great way to stay out of emotional foreign entanglements. Britain and the United States did not deal fairly with many entities in the Middle East during and after the two World Wars. Our participation in those endeavors set the stage for our position now.

None of that has anything to do with the moral equivalency of any regime, or Islamic sympathy, any of that.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the relevance of your question.

If my neighbor is a drunken lazy reprobate, does that justify me dealing with him dishonestly?

Our founders did not view monarchies and lesser states as "equals", yet advocated for fair and equitable dealing with all. That is a great rule of thumb for a man, and a great way to stay out of emotional foreign entanglements. Britain and the United States did not deal fairly with many entities in the Middle East during and after the two World Wars. Our participation in those endeavors set the stage for our position now.

None of that has anything to do with the moral equivalency of any regime, or Islamic sympathy, any of that.

The relevance isn’t germane to my question. Just looking for your opinion on a simple question, that’s all. No big deal. Why can’t anyone answer it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom