Irrational Gun Pet Peeves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TV and newspaper reporters who don't know what the hell they're talking about when they do a firearms related news story.... i.e. assault rifle.
Idiot reporters who say "automatic" instead of "semi automatic".
Being at a gun show and some idiot points gun in unsafe manner.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing that really bothers me is stupid people. They're everywhere.

I think not necessarily “stupid”. A better term would be uninformed and under trained.
I’m not advocating a training program, what I’m saying is that a lot of folks with no mentor can buy a firearm with no knowledge of common gun safety, and publicly display that lack of knowledge when using that firearm.
I think it’s our responsibility to become mentors to the uninformed.
I realize that can be tough because some folks just don’t want to be instructed and that then becomes the range safety officer responsibility to take care of.
One of the reasons I don’t like crowded indoor ranges.
“Instructing” one with a smile on the face and a hand shake and not a chip on the shoulder would go a long way to getting the message across.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The military uses Grip-pods and so does the IDF.

Another one I thought of, when a gun dealer sells a buyer of a pistol the wrong ammo for their gun.
That’s true, but the military also issues glasses aptly nicknamed “birth control glasses” and short shorts called silkies. A Grip-Pod can be very useful, just like a fanny pack. ;)

It’s been a few years but I heard a guy in a gun shop ask for .45 acp ammo. The guy behind the counter asked what he was shooting it out of. The guy responded a Glock 21. To which the guy responded “We have This, that and a box of .45 GAP which is optimized for the Glock.” Before anyone could say anything another guy behind the counter corrected him. Fake it, til you make it I guess.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be first to say it. I am a clip vs mag nazi. Clips are for chips and magazines. Magazines are for guns.
This must be a moon magazine then, huh?

9mm%20986%20full%20moon%20clip-u5046.png

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My pet peeve is folks that are absolute prophets of doom when it comes to self-defense. These people advise us that calling 911 if we see a crime taking place will mean that our world will come crashing down on us because we'll have to testify and then the bad guys will come and get us. Or those who just tear everything you say down and yet offer nothing constructive in its' place. Or those who read stuff into your posts that simply is not there.

Oftentimes, these are the same people.

Another pet peeve is people who start threads on pet peeves. (Okay, just kidding there!)

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I call'em magazines. I dont care if you call it a clip. Many Soldiers and Marines called them clips through Vietnam.

clip

NOUN
a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
VERB
fasten or be fastened with a clip or clips.

The word assault rifle is also word salad. The Germans coined the phrase, but it doesn't matter.

Merriam-Websters defines the Assault Rifle as,

: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire

also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire.

The argument of what the definition is, is the wrong point we as 2A'ers should be making.

The right argument is right in the wording of the 2nd Amendment itself.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

There is where the argument should be made. The defense of the Nation will be fought with modern military weapons, NOT muskets from the Revolutionary War. You have all heard anti gunners say, "The Founders never intended us have modern military weapons"; or "That only applied to muskets"
Thats the argument that needs to be fought

Oh and that is my pet peeve
By the same token, the founders just meant for freedom of the press to only apply to print media since that was all they had in 1789. Try that argument with the electronic media and see how well it goes over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom