IRS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Paper. The only year out of the last 8 that I did that. Lesson learned.

Yeah, don't file paper unless you have no other choice.

Just do what you are going to do. Send them the tax return and a copy of the check. Certified. It will probably go through. Expect 8 months however. If you get other letters, just resend it all again for each letter.

xtremerange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once my grandfather sent me a check in the mail. He did not send it to the IRS, it was addressed to me and I don't live at the IRS. He did not make the check out to the IRS, that is not my name.

However, the check was received by the IRS in KC, endorsed by the IRS, and deposited by the IRS. There was no tax return in the envelope, no IRS form of any kind.

Somehow, they did figure out this was F'ed up and sent the original check to me about 2 weeks later. The account was credited back by the bank too. The original check had their endorsement stamp on the back.

The letter with the check merely said they had received this in the mail in error.

🤔

Not like I am going to ask them for an explanation either.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I despise the IRS...mostly because no one is EVER accountable.

Several months after filing we still hadn't received a $4000 refund in 2004. One day wife tells me she's missing almost $7000 from her checking account. Bank said account was garnished by IRS. We called the IRS...what an effort in futility that was. After several weeks we're able to determine they kept our $4000 refund because we didn't file...they estimated our taxes and decided we owed some ridiculous amount.

My obvious question was "how can we be entitled to a refund if we didn't file"? That really confused everyone.

This went on for 5 years. They took almost $20,000 from us before we finally prevailed against unimaginable stupidity. They did pay us interest on the $4000 they originally took 5 years earlier and the nearly $12,000 the subsequently stole...$88. Yeah...they charged us thousands in interest and penalties but paid us $88.

And it all came down to this: For 15 years we filed jointly with me as the primary taxpayer. Wife had taken a new job and I opened a business so in 2004 we filed with her as the primary taxpayer. Same names and same SSANs, just listed her first. That's what confused them and caused all the brain damage. They couldn't figure out we were the same taxpayers with just the names switched.

I f'n hate the IRS. Course, I pretty much hate most government agencies that have the power to intimidate Americans who then have really no recourse. And, like I said, no one is ever held accountable for this kind of crap.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ever notice how they IRS ALWAYS CASHES THE CHECK.

You didn't file but THEY CASHED THE CHECK.

I have had it happen twice. 2nd time, they cashed the check AND charged interest with penalties on the $820 owed. The check they cashed was ..................

$820. Took nearly a year to get it straight.

Boycott of IRS sounds great, except they garnish pay, seize bank accounts and all assets WITHOUT NOTICE.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever notice how they IRS ALWAYS CASHES THE CHECK.

You didn't file but THEY CASHED THE CHECK.

I have had it happen twice. 2nd time, they cashed the check AND charged interest with penalties on the $820 owed. The check they cashed was ..................

$820. Took nearly a year to get it straight.

Boycott of IRS sounds great, except they garnish pay, seize bank accounts and all assets WITHOUT NOTICE.
Can confirm. Happened to me in 2019.

Latest posts

Top Bottom