Is 0.166 MOA reasonable with an AR-pattern rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rijas is small gun store widely known for telling stretching the truth, like really, really stretching the truth in order to sell extremely overpriced AR's to folks who don't know any better.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found with iron sights i want to exactly center my front sight in my rear sight hole every time , then place the front sight below my intended target, this way i can center the front sight right in the middle of the target.

I used buckhorn rear and blade front on a 50cal muzzleloader and got a clover leaf group at 100 yards.
Not an AR though as i do not have one..
I almost feel like the black sheep almost everyone i know has one..But they all have cell phones also..I do not have one of those..
I do not like carrying around electronics and no jewelry no rings not even watches...Watches always died on my arm or got all scratched up or busted.

I hear smoking the front sight improves shooting or sight picture..
Anyone want to touch on that?

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What course is it? That will tell us a lot about the details of the program. I know it's possible, but .5 MOA at 300 yards with iron sights is dang near impossible. The hardware would have to extremely precise to even give the shooter a chance.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blackening the front sight helps it stand out more on a lighter target. The point about the front sight for a standard ar subtends about 6 inches at 100 yards is correct. There are front sight posts available from about .030-.080 which can be used though. However, the width of the front sight is not necessarily indicative of accuracy. Centering that front sight at the 6 o'clock position on a round black bullseye allows you to fine tune the placement of the sight. The same is true of red dot sights. Use the 12o'clock tip of the red dot as your aiming reference, not the whole dot, for accuracy work.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what course it is... he has told me several times about a friend of his who is an ex-Army sniper/Ranger or something like that who is teaching him and some others about long-distance shooting. I haven't asked details and don't know much about the guy. He lives several hours away from me, so I haven't had a chance to get involved, though I'd like to.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you heard... errr... read correctly.

Friend of mine sent me pics of his "precision" AR he recently built. I asked him what all parts he used, but he wasn't too specific - Spike's lower, DD upper, Troy Alpha handguard, DPMS 20" fluted barrel.

I'm not dogging his setup, don't get me wrong. He's a good friend, and I am happy he finally decided to build his own rifle, and it looks to be a nice rig. I'm just wondering... he said he built it for a class he is going to take and they have to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 and 300 yards - with iron sights. If I understand things right (which isn't a given, to be sure), 1/2 at 300 yards is about 1/6 MOA, or 0.166 MOA, right? I can see with a good rifle and good ammo shooting half-inch groups at 100 yards with the right setup. But 300 yards seems a bit out there to me... maybe their goal is 1" groups at 300, I dunno.

I know he reloads, so maybe they will work up some rifle-specific loads and match-grade blah blah, I dunno.

I was just wondering how realistic this goal may be for a "class" or if some instructor is feeding them a line of BS that this is going to be possible (ala Rijas)? It seems a bit far-fetched to me, but I'm certainly not an experienced long-distance shooter.
seriously? sounds like a great way to make a few hundred bucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom