Is 0.166 MOA reasonable with an AR-pattern rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it's "match"? lol

Nah, I didn't think it was a particularly reasonable expectation, but as mentioned, I suspect it's probably going for 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards, not 1/2" to 300 yards. I could be wrong, but that seems more reasonable to me.

Still, not super-likely to achieve that, but he might get close. Maybe he'll see sub-MOA with really good technique, customized self-loaded ammo, etc. Iron sights, I dunno... but I wish the best for him. He's a good friend and is excited about the challenge. Lucky him... he lives out west of I-35 where it's flatter and has someone of (supposed) great skill who is going to teach him, and they have a place to shoot out that far. I have none of that, or I'd be trying, as well.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it's "match"? lol

Nah, I didn't think it was a particularly reasonable expectation, but as mentioned, I suspect it's probably going for 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards, not 1/2" to 300 yards. I could be wrong, but that seems more reasonable to me.

Still, not super-likely to achieve that, but he might get close. Maybe he'll see sub-MOA with really good technique, customized self-loaded ammo, etc. Iron sights, I dunno... but I wish the best for him. He's a good friend and is excited about the challenge. Lucky him... he lives out west of I-35 where it's flatter and has someone of (supposed) great skill who is going to teach him, and they have a place to shoot out that far. I have none of that, or I'd be trying, as well.

Yea but he dont have OSA to gut check, and call out the "best" of what he can do.

Much info , much experience here, When you get the time , I'm sure someone will get out and help you... ;)

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bet there is exactly nobody that can reliably shoot 1/2" MOA at 300 yards with iron sights. Just go put a white pater plate in the end zone and walk THREE football fields, length wise, away and see what happens.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He's full of crap. I've been to quite a few shooting classes/school and not one had a requirement like that, including Badlands Tactical. It is nice to have a rifle that shoots 1/2" at 100 yds, but it is not necessary. You can use a 1 moa rifle and still make hits at 1000 yds. I've seen it done with another shooter's factory Rem 700.

There are some very accurate AR's out there. I could shoot my old Colt Comp. HBAR w/ custom app. better than my scoped Model 94 Win.....but at 300 yds 1/2" moa would be seriously tough....maybe impossible.
I'd like to see this guy shoot, have him show you. Maybe I should say I would like to see the instructor shoot. 1 1/2" group at 300 yds with iron sights and a DPMS barrel...good luck. I could pull that off with my built .308 on a good day...maybe. 1/2 moa at 200 yds. definetly w/optics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom