Is 0.166 MOA reasonable with an AR-pattern rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, I correct your mis-reading and I did the same thing. I glossed over the fact of the 15 shots at each range part. Glad you can add because I couldn't.

And yes, Tubb is an amazing shot.

I'm curious now... When they said open sight, I interpreted that to mean "irons". So, what do they mean by single lens then? Are they meaning a red dot sight like a primary arms or EOTech?

High power rules allow single lens AKA magnifier (usually in the front sight, unless shooting "service" then the lens goes in the back sight) that has about 1.2-1.5x magnification and removes depth perception (the target appears in the same plane as the front sight).

Holographic and red dot sights are awful for long range shooting - so legality is moot. (works wonders in bullseye game though).

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
High power rules allow single lens AKA magnifier (usually in the front sight, unless shooting "service" then the lens goes in the back sight) that has about 1.2-1.5x magnification and removes depth perception (the target appears in the same plane as the front sight).

Holographic and red dot sights are awful for long range shooting - so legality is moot. (works wonders in bullseye game though).
Oh ok, I learned something today then. Thanks Mo!

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 MOA is ~1" at 100 meters. Guessing they actually want 1/2 MOA accuracy or ~.5"at 100 meters and ~1.5" at 300 meters.

becomingriflemen.files.wordpress.com_2010_02_figure26.jpg

1 MOA = 1.047 inches at 100 yds or 10.47 inches at 1,000 yds. It may not seem like its a big difference but when you dial 24.6 MOA to shoot 1,000 yds (257.56 inches) it is. Your method would yield 246 inches a difference of 11.5 inches which is a miss on a deer sized target.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 MOA = 1.047 inches at 100 yds or 10.47 inches at 1,000 yds. It may not seem like its a big difference but when you dial 24.6 MOA to shoot 1,000 yds (257.56 inches) it is. Your method would yield 246 inches a difference of 11.5 inches which is a miss on a deer sized target.

Graphic is not mine, was lifted from the interwebs, and is obviously an oversimplified representation.

For future reference '~' is a tilde, which when used in front of a single quantity can mean "approximately", "about" or "of the same order of magnitude as". 1.047" is approximately 1".

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Graphic is not mine, was lifted from the interwebs, and is obviously an oversimplified representation.

For future reference '~' is a tilde, which when used in front of a single quantity can mean "approximately", "about" or "of the same order of magnitude as". 1.047" is approximately 1".

Maybe a "tilde" is fine for those who poke holes in paper at 100 yds but if your shooting steel or game in the next area code a "tilde" is substantial. Have you ever boxed your scope dialing 10 MOA or even 30 MOA at 100 yds? If you get 10.47" or 31.41" you might think your scope isn't tracking correctly; but it is. I would assume many on this site would take the graphic you posted and run with it but its not, "that's right Billy Bob, 4 clicks equals 1 inch at 100 yds." Some of us on here don't waste our time shooting closer than 500yds and routinely go well beyond that.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol. That is why I explained why that little squiggly symbol is, so Bill Bob's like you that don't know that it means approximately can say to themselves in the future, "That symbol means approximately but I want to know exactly what an MOA is equal to at 100yds, maybe I should look that up."

Good luck with the rest of your waning (look it up, no free definition this time) life, you'll probably need it.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol. That is why I explained why that little squiggly symbol is, so Bill Bob's like you that don't know that it means approximately can say to themselves in the future, "That symbol means approximately but I want to know exactly what an MOA is equal to at 100yds, maybe I should look that up."

Good luck with the rest of your waning (look it up, no free definition this time) life, you'll probably need it.

I didn't need to look up MOA, I've known it for years along with mills, and with 30 years in the civil engineering field I think I know what "~" means. I may be waning but not so much that I can't pass on wisdom to youngsters such as yourself. I appreciate the statement of "luck" but I don't rely on that which is non existent (again some wisdom). Let me know if you need an education in mills, I'll be glad to help.

You said, "1 MOA is ~1" at 100 meters. Guessing they actually want 1/2 MOA accuracy or ~.5"at 100 meters and ~1.5" at 300 meters."

Do you notice the "meters" statement? It kind of leads one to believe you thought 1 MOA at 100 YARDS is 1 inch. Therefore the reason for the ~ in the meters statement. How much ~ do you allow for in your shooting and at what range do you stop using the mindset of the "~"?

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't need to look up MOA, I've known it for years along with mills, and with 30 years in the civil engineering field I think I know what "~" means. I may be waning but not so much that I can't pass on wisdom to youngsters such as yourself. I appreciate the statement of "luck" but I don't rely on that which is non existent (again some wisdom). Let me know if you need an education in mills, I'll be glad to help.

You said, "1 MOA is ~1" at 100 meters. Guessing they actually want 1/2 MOA accuracy or ~.5"at 100 meters and ~1.5" at 300 meters."

Do you notice the "meters" statement? It kind of leads one to believe you thought 1 MOA at 100 YARDS is 1 inch. Therefore the reason for the ~ in the meters statement. How much ~ do you allow for in your shooting and at what range do you stop using the mindset of the "~"?

I'm sitting here trying to actually figure out what the hell you're arguing about, except that Gabe was talking in approximations, but you think he's oversimplifying it? I mean... is that what it is? Yes... 1.047 at 100 is exact, but you want to argue 5% variability? I really am trying to figure out what the big deal is.

Could you simplify it for those of us who don't have 30 years experience in civil engineering? As in... real-world applications? That 5% difference at 1000 yards is equivalent of 1/2 an inch - well, actually, since you want things super-precise (so it seems) it would be 0.47 inches. At a kilometer. Personally I think that's worth a ~.

Latest posts

Top Bottom