Is a 4x4 truck, jeep or 4x4 SUV a must for Ok deer hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If it's dry no, if it's a little muddy yes, if it's really muddy no.

trolling.jpg

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drag most on a tarp to the road where I park the truck.

In the preseason we drive 2 and 4 wheel drive trucks, jeeps, and a FWD Jetta out to the areas on private.

Of course we have also "retrieved" them with a front end loader or a hay spike.

There have been wheelbarrows used. I even used an old bicycle trailer after I made a little shelf out of it.

My uncle use to use a travois. That was fun to watch without a horse.

My buddy and I in college were being stupid and tried tying up the legs over a pole and carrying a deer that way in the mountains after watching a bad headhunter movie. Worked better than I thought it would.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just carry mine out on my shoulders unless its bigger than about 120 or 2 miles deep or you don't have a buddy to help you drag it. Sometimes we just drag them out with a rope or horns if its downhill. If not Then its qtr and black trash bag time. At least that is how we do it down here. The old saying, the fun part is over once you pull the trigger.

Most farmers and landowners, including me don't want you driving all over their fields creating ruts or killing the grass/crop and creating new roads everywhere because your too dang lazy to walk or go get your game. And you wonder why most people won't let you hunt on their land anymore? Yea.

As for paying to work all those gears, pitiful gas mileage, ins, tags and expensive mudder tires just for a couple of weeks of deer season and stuck driving the other 11 1/2 months on pavement in something that rides like an iron tired wagon ill suited to the task is just silly.

If I thought I needed a 4 wheel drive just for that I would get an untagged beater jeep on a trailer to keep in the back yard for the 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom