Is a blackpowder gun considered a firearm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifleman 1981

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For starters, if you can’t act like a grown up there’s no need to get involved in the conversation However, I’d love to hear some intelligent arguments. The passage I posted is directly from the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals. If you can be charged with it as being a firearm, I’m gonna say it’s considered a firearm. I’ve seen 2 instances where blackpowder guns have been confiscated, I’m not taking sides or even saying it’s right, I’m just trying to open a friendly discussion on the subject.

Attachments

• 7ED52ECB-DC78-45BC-A1BF-6453D9AC9AA7.png
    7ED52ECB-DC78-45BC-A1BF-6453D9AC9AA7.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 3

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually looked this up one time because a friends son gained a felony but wanted to hunt with a MZ in Ok.
According to the Feds, a muzzleloader is not considered a firearm that is prohibited to be owned by a felon.
Unless it's been changed, Oklahoma law says Muzzle loading firearms are prohibited firearms for felons.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish Oklahoma would relax that law. NO criminal is going to take a muzzleloader into a quick trip and commit a crime.
Well, I take that back because criminals are dummy's but the percentage of criminals using muzzleloaders is less than .000001%.
The friends son that I referenced got a non violent felony for a traffic violation in Tx where he exceeded 50 mph over the speed limit on a crotch rocket on a county road with zero traffic.
His parents spent over 10 grand in lawyers to get that felony thrown out, but it didn't happen in an election year where the prosecutor ran on a law and order platform.
He does hunt deer with a bow and small game with air rifles, but still.......

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting that the state considers black powder guns to be firearms. Duelist1954 on YouTube did a few videos talking about Cap and Ball revolvers as a option for those prohibited from owning modern firearms. Some of the cap and ball guns can be converted to cartridge firing revolvers, too. I think there are a few cartridge firing guns from the mid to late 1800s that aren’t considered firearms on a federal level either.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish Oklahoma would relax that law. NO criminal is going to take a muzzleloader into a quick trip and commit a crime.
Well, I take that back because criminals are dummy's but the percentage of criminals using muzzleloaders is less than .000001%.
The friends son that I referenced got a non violent felony for a traffic violation in Tx where he exceeded 50 mph over the speed limit on a crotch rocket on a county road with zero traffic.
His parents spent over 10 grand in lawyers to get that felony thrown out, but it didn't happen in an election year where the prosecutor ran on a law and order platform.
He does hunt deer with a bow and small game with air rifles, but still.......

Doesn’t seem right that you have to have big money and political influence to have your rights reinstated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom