Is a blackpowder gun considered a firearm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This all started in the classified section, when a guy got upset because I said the state of Oklahoma considered Black powder guns to be firearms. I made the comment that as a law enforcement officer I had seen them confiscated after a crime had been committed. That’s the back story here.
Letting me know you’re a cop gives me a better understanding of the first sentence of your post starting this thread too. There’s a good chance you’ll be 24.:rollingla

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes same for T/C Encore even if all you buy is the BP barrel on the receiver, receiver having the serial number.
Every muzzleloader I have has a serial number, but it’s the fact it can be converted to or from a centerfire rifle that makes the difference. Other than Encores, all other muzzleloaders I know of that have to go through a FFL (and are considered rifles) are smokeless.

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has to be a muzzleloader manufactured pre-1898 or a replica there of. A lot of modern muzzleloaders skirt a fine line there.
while exempt from filing a 4473 to purchase, I'm sure the feds would find some other charge for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom