Is anyone around here a bicycle expert?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to build myself an ebike for commuting. This is the frame I've landed on for a number of reasons: https://vectorebike.com/componentsss/vector-frame. Not the least of which is that there are no domestic manufacturers at all, and this one is in Germany, not China. Reasonable assumptions about quality and CS aside, I speak fluent German from having previously lived there, but I don't speak a lick of Chinese, and I feel like that increases my chances of getting good support if I need help or something is defective.

I'm also going to order the battery, motor, and controller from them. They kind of have a tuned system with proven results that have been independently verified by others. The rest of the parts are mainly just standard bike parts. So the fork, suspension, wheels, brakes, etc. are all your standard bike stuff.

The reason I'm building it myself is because they come from the factory configured for mountain biking, and we're fresh out of mountains around here in the OKC. It will also save some money. Maybe a lot of money depending on whether I can pick stuff up locally. And it sounds like a fun project, too.

That means I will have to build the back wheel myself, because the spokes thread directly into the motor hub itself. The only pre built ones from the factory are 19", which is way smaller than what's optimal for my use.

Well, there's the story so far. I was hoping someone local might volunteer to mentor me a little bit on what parts to use and where to source them from. It would be awesome if I could pick up some used parts even. Anything I don't have to pay shipping, tax, and or duties on would be awesome.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, you might ask if the hub will generate enough torque to work with a larger wheel, could be the reason the largest one they sell is 19". As far as the rest of the parts, you might check out a local bike store. They may even be able to do the spoke job for you, which is a lot harder than it looks (tried it myself once, the back wheel looked drunk afterwards lol).

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, you might ask if the hub will generate enough torque to work with a larger wheel, could be the reason the largest one they sell is 19". As far as the rest of the parts, you might check out a local bike store. They may even be able to do the spoke job for you, which is a lot harder than it looks (tried it myself once, the back wheel looked drunk afterwards lol).
Yea that's what I figured is I could get someone local to do it. Someone who knows what they're doing and is reasonable, vs. a big shop where they might phone it in and fleece me while doing it.

Do you have any experience with ebikes specifically?

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked at these a lot over the years. Doubt you'll find local places with ebike parts or components. Schlegel's, auto alley, would be a good place to try, but I'm not sure if its open anymore. Al's, several locations around town, you can try, but the last time I ask about ebikes over at the one on S. Western, it wasn't met very well. Maybe that has changed. Sounds like you're sticking with two wheels, might check out some tadpoles from this place. Again not sure if this place is still open, but worth a phone call.
http://www.oklahomarecumbenttrikeandbike.com/products.html

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IDK. That bike doesn't look very good for commuting. For fun and single track? Sure. If by commuting i assume to work and back and the occasional ride to the store and running errands around town. Currently living in Socal and near the beach. Ebikes are hugely popular out here and there are some really slick ebike around town. Some that seem very well built and would make great commuter bikes. I understand the whole chinese thing but the quality i see in many are top notch. I'd imagine you'll spend a small fortune and some frustration on piecing one together. Interested to see what you put together.

STS11

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to build myself an ebike for commuting. This is the frame I've landed on for a number of reasons: Typhoon frame Black or White. Not the least of which is that there are no domestic manufacturers at all, and this one is in Germany, not China. Reasonable assumptions about quality and CS aside, I speak fluent German from having previously lived there, but I don't speak a lick of Chinese, and I feel like that increases my chances of getting good support if I need help or something is defective.

I'm also going to order the battery, motor, and controller from them. They kind of have a tuned system with proven results that have been independently verified by others. The rest of the parts are mainly just standard bike parts. So the fork, suspension, wheels, brakes, etc. are all your standard bike stuff.

The reason I'm building it myself is because they come from the factory configured for mountain biking, and we're fresh out of mountains around here in the OKC. It will also save some money. Maybe a lot of money depending on whether I can pick stuff up locally. And it sounds like a fun project, too.

That means I will have to build the back wheel myself, because the spokes thread directly into the motor hub itself. The only pre built ones from the factory are 19", which is way smaller than what's optimal for my use.

Well, there's the story so far. I was hoping someone local might volunteer to mentor me a little bit on what parts to use and where to source them from. It would be awesome if I could pick up some used parts even. Anything I don't have to pay shipping, tax, and or duties on would be awesome.
Late, just saw it. Did you build bike?
I'm on my sixth, over 11 years.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1706.JPG

While not electric, this is the last version of the one I built. I think the only original parts were the frame and pedal crank. Would hit 50mph.

Latest posts

Top Bottom