Is anyone else tired of the "My pistol isn't accurate" threads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ This relates to handgun accuracy much more than many people think. It can be overcome some with proper techniques and grip adjustment, but to force everyone to be as proficient with one design is unrealistic.

Maybe that's why we see so many exotic grip shapes on target pistols/revolvers (rhetorical)?

This is where some of time time it is the arrow and not the Indian. Yes, you can train proficiency back into it, but to assume that everyone has the time, money, and passion to undertake this is also unrealistic.

* I am not directing my comments toward you in any way, but I wanted to use your example to qualify my position a bit.

I probably should have included this with my long ramble about preferred loads, but the post was getting extremely long-winded already by that point.

Next we can go over sights, as some people aren't blessed with the vision to pick up a good sight picture like everyone else...
Agreed. I have tried some revolvers with a trigger pull in the 20 to 25 pound range. Atrocious!
Mustang grips were the only thing that fit my big paws on the Security Six I started with. It had a really smooth action for a Ruger.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot for many many years, and am deadly, but a buddy shot with me and pointed out a couple tweaks and I am even more solid in frame and mobility. Target shooting is one thing; shooting and moving, moving while shooting a whole ‘nother

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing an accuracy comparison one time with all of my .22 handguns. For semi autos I had a Smith 41, 1 each Hi Standard Citation and Trophy model, a Ruger government mkII and a mkIII with Volquartsen trigger system, and finally a Colt Woodsman Match Target. For revolvers I had 2 Smith K-22s, a 17 and an 18, a Colt Officers Model Match, a Hi Standard Double-nine and a Taurus 9 shot 22 that I had just picked up because a friend had one that I really liked. I was testing all with 3 different kinds of bulk .22 ammo to see how well they shot with the cheap stuff. Testing was done at 15 yards because my target dots were less than 1/4 inch and I couldn't see them any farther than that. As expected, all would put 10 shots under a 3/4 inch bullet hole paster at that range, except for the Double-nine. It needed a 1 inch paster. Then there was the new to me Taurus... and let's just say my cylinder bore shotgun printed better groups at 15 yards. Not exaggerating. The 24 inch square targets I was using would only catch 5 or 6 of the 9 shots coming from this thing. I said all that to say this... Sometimes, on very rare occasions, it really IS the gun.

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I was doing an accuracy comparison one time with all of my .22 handguns. For semi autos I had a Smith 41, 1 each Hi Standard Citation and Trophy model, a Ruger government mkII and a mkIII with Volquartsen trigger system, and finally a Colt Woodsman Match Target. For revolvers I had 2 Smith K-22s, a 17 and an 18, a Colt Officers Model Match, a Hi Standard Double-nine and a Taurus 9 shot 22 that I had just picked up because a friend had one that I really liked. I was testing all with 3 different kinds of bulk .22 ammo to see how well they shot with the cheap stuff. Testing was done at 15 yards because my target dots were less than 1/4 inch and I couldn't see them any farther than that. As expected, all would put 10 shots under a 3/4 inch bullet hole paster at that range, except for the Double-nine. It needed a 1 inch paster. Then there was the new to me Taurus... and let's just say my cylinder bore shotgun printed better groups at 15 yards. Not exaggerating. The 24 inch square targets I was using would only catch 5 or 6 of the 9 shots coming from this thing. I said all that to say this... Sometimes, on very rare occasions, it really IS the gun.
So, you could consistently put 10 shots in a 3/4 or 1 inch pattern with a variety of pistols and ammunitions? Were you doing this free hand, standing, or rested? At what distance?

Last edited:

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, you could consistently put 10 shots in a 3/4 or 1 inch pattern with a variety of pistols and ammunitions? Were you doing this free hand, standing, or rested? At what distance?
..."Testing was done at 15 yards because my target dots were less than 1/4 inch and I couldn't see them any farther than that."...

I was shooting from a rest.

Some might say that at 15 yards, it would be hard to see much of a difference from one gun to another, but I beg to differ. The Smith 41 and K-22s, Hi Standard pistols, Colt Woodsman and Officers Match and the Ruger government mkII all shot ragged groups around 1/2 inch. But that mkIII with Volquartsen trigger would put 10 shots in a hole that looked like a single .38 Special hole.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot for many many years, and am deadly, but a buddy shot with me and pointed out a couple tweaks and I am even more solid in frame and mobility. Target shooting is one thing; shooting and moving, moving while shooting a whole ‘nother
That’s why I started shooting run and gun USPSA matches. Introduces a whole new level of shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom